Around the Ivies: Football

Coming off a crushing defeat to Yale last week, the Cornell football team rebounded on Saturday to beat Georgetown 45-7 on the road, the third straight victory over a Patriot League rival.

Cornell 45, Georgetown 7
The Red offense, spearheaded by a solid rushing game (252 total rushing yards), put up seven touchdowns — three of which came courtesy of senior running back Luke Siwula. Siwula finished the game with 93 yards, bumping him up to fifth place on the school’s all-time rushing list. Quarterback Nathan Ford 24-for-33 also produced solid numbers, passing for 201 yards and finding 12 different receivers on the field (including an 11-yard touchdown reception to sophomore wideout Nick Zerante). Cornell’s damper on Georgetown’s homecoming places the Red at 2-1.

Yale 38, Holy Cross 17
Yale (3-0) continued its undefeated streak on Saturday, beating Holy Cross on the road in front of 12,000 fans, 38-17. Running back Mike McLeod scored five touchdowns and rushed for 256 yards, the highest single-game yardage in school history — also tying the single-game TD record for a running back. Yale’s defense held the Crusaders to just 45 rushing yards and intercepted Holy Cross QB Dominic Randolph three times.

Princeton 42, Columbia 32
Princeton (2-1) moved up to second in the Ivies after its win over Columbia (1-2). Despite recording six touchdowns, 570 total yards on offense and going 11-for-15 on third-down conversions, the Tigers still needed a fourth quarter rally to defeat Columbia, 42-32. At the end of the third quarter, Columbia took the lead with an 11-yard connection to receiver Austin Knowlin, placing the score at 24-21. This would be the only Columbia lead of the afternoon, as Princeton answered back resoundingly with three touchdowns in the final quarter. Both quarterbacks threw two interceptions in a turnover-ridden game.

Lehigh 20, Harvard 13
Harvard (1-2) lost to Lehigh in a nail-biter at Goodman Stadium, 20-13. Defensive lineman Paul Bode recovered Harvard quarterback Chris Pizzotti’s fumble, running it back 27 yards for the game-winning touchdown in the final 30 seconds of the game. This was somewhat of a shocking loss for Harvard, since it statistically dominated on both sides of the ball. The Crimson defense limited Lehigh to 0-for-11 in third-down conversions, and the offense put up more passing yards, rushing yards and twice as many first downs.

Dartmouth 21, Penn 13
Dartmouth (1-2) defeated Ivy rival Penn (0-3) in the other conference matchup of the weekend, 21-13. Dartmouth quarterback Tom Bennewitz, who went 18-for-26 — completed two touchdown passes, including a 35-yard endzone lob to wideout Brian Evans in the third quarter, and a 29-yard connection to reciever Eric Paul at the start of the fourth quarter. Paul finished the day with five receptions and 90 yards receiving. Additionally, Dartmouth safety Ian Wilson was named Ivy Defensive Player of the Week, posting 13 tackles and two pass breakups. This is the Green’s first Ivy opener win since 1997, which was also against Penn. The Quakers have lost seven of their last eight games.

Rhode Island 49, Brown 42
Brown (1-2) fell to cross-state rival Rhode Island in a double overtime thriller at Brown Stadium, 49-42. The matchup, traditionally dubbed the Governor’s Cup, was a tight battle until the finish, with neither team holding more than an eight-point lead throughout the game. However, the Rams were able to close the deal after a 10-yard TD reception to reciever Shawn Leonard in second overtime period. Brown reciever Paul Raymond’s 80-yard TD reception in the third quarter was the fifth longest pass in school history. Bears quarterback Michael Dougherty threw 27-for-47 for 407 passing yards.