Sprint Football Faces Pass-Heavy Princeton

If the Red wants to rebound from last Sunday’s disheartening loss to Navy it’ll have to do so without the talent of some of its star players. Cornell’s young backups will get a chance to prove themselves this Saturday when the sprint football team takes on Princeton.
With starting quarterback Zac Dentes and running back Glenn Palmer injured, freshman Elliot Corey (quarterback) and sophomore DJ Schiavetta (runningback) will get a chance to step in. Seniors Jason Remillard, Glenn Palmer and Cam Johnson are also unavailable for the Red (2-1) due to injury.
“Everyone was upset about the loss to Navy,” Corey said. “We just want to get the job done early, get back on the winning track, and maybe grab a share of the title.”
Playing Prince­ton at home should help the Red find its way back to that winning track. Cornell did not allow a point to Princeton all last season, prevailing in both games by scores of 29-0 and 35-0.
This season, Princeton found its way into the end zone in its home opener against Cornell on Sept. 21, but still lost by a score of 49-26. That game represented the Tigers’ highest score since the 2004 season when it scored 28 points against Penn.
Princeton is 0-2 this season, has been outscored 109-33, and had to forfeit its game against Army because there were not enough healthy players. The Tigers also played with an undermanned team for its first two games of the season.
The Red defense will have to concentrate on containing Princeton’s passing game. Tigers’ quarterback Ale Kandabarow has thrown an average of 183.5 yards per game, mostly to receiver Lon Johnson (116 yards per game). The Red should have little trouble containing the run; Princeton has only rushed for 82 yards all season.
“We are just going to wait and adjust to what they come out with,” said freshman linebacker Clay Hemminger. “They might have a new offense. We’re going to key on the QB and running back and if they continue to pass a lot we’ll go back into coverage.”
Cornell’s offense will want to focus on the fundamentals like securing the ball. Princeton has forced and recovered five fumbles. Princeton’s opponents have also been tormented by penalties, losing a total of 210 yards (compared to Princeton’s 134 yards) by penalty.
If the Red (2-1 so far this season) wants a share of the CSFL title, it will need some help from one of Navy’s last three opponents — Princeton, Penn, or Army. One of these teams would have to take a game from Navy which is 4-0 so far this season. Players are optimistic that they can still make a run at a share of first place.
“We definitely still have a chance for the title,” said junior Brandon Stoller.
“We have a chance,” Hemminger said. “If they lose, we pretty much hold our own destiny.”