Women's Soccer Crushed at Home by Bears

The womens’ soccer team couldn’t stop its slide this weekend, as it fell at home to Brown, 4-0. The Red (4-9-0, 0-4-0 Ivy) has now dropped its last six games and has failed to score in each one of those contests.
The first half was relatively even, with the Red outshooting the Bears (4-8-1, 2-2-0 Ivy) 9-6. In the 31st minute, however, Brown was able to break through when freshman Sylvia Stone finished off a cross from Lindsay Cunningham. The Red entered halftime down 1-0, but Brown took over from that point on.
The Bears put away their second goal just six minutes into the second half, when junior Jamie Mize scored off a loose ball in the box. Mize’s goal was her third of the year, claiming the team lead. In the 64th minute, Cunningham notched her second assist of the day, connecting with senior midfielder Susie Keller to put the Bears up 3-0. Brown finished off its scoring on a corner kick in the 84th minute, when Julie Wu found Stone for her second goal of the game.
“It wasn’t our game,” said junior defender Whitney Stich. “We couldn’t find our rhythm —it definitely wasn’t the pretty passing game that we like to play.”
The Red’s offense continued its slump versus the Bears, as it has been shut out in the last 540 minutes of play — adding pressure to freshman goalkeeper Jodi Palmer. Senior Mariye Wick and sophomore Lauren Lynn paced the offense with four shots apiece. The team’s leading scorer, freshman midfielder Lena Russomagno, was unable to register a shot all game long.
“We actually outshot them in the first half, but still lost 4-0,” Stitch said. “We obviously had a lot of shots but just couldn’t finish them,” Stich said.
Palmer had three saves on the afternoon, while Brown’s Steffi Yellin stopped five shots en route to her fourth shutout of the year.
“We have two more away games, and one of our goals this year was to win a road game,” Stitch said. “It will be very important, going into next year as well, to win an away game —and next week presents another opportunity to do that.”