Intramural Sports Gives Red Different Perspective

As the football team prepares to face Dartmouth in a road contest this weekend, there is another game before this Saturday’s contest that holds some weight: the intramural fraternity league flag football championship between Sigma Nu and Pi Kappa Alpha tonight at 9:30 p.m.
Sigma Nu and Phi Kappa Psi are generally known as the two organizations with a brotherhood full with former and current football players. With Phi Kappa Psi losing to Phi Sigma earlier in the playoffs, some of the players on the team will be there cheering on Sigma Nu.
“I thinks it pretty fun [to watch them play],”said junior safety and Sigma Nu brother Gus Krimm. “They are all my best friends and a lot of them used to be on the football team, so its fun to watch.”
Despite his academic commitments and an early bus ride Friday morning, senior safety Michael Boyd said he would try to make the game to cheer on his brothers.
“I’m proud of all those guys,” Boyd said. “It’s a great thing for the house. It’s your friends out there playing. Rooting for them is like rooting for family.”
For Krimm, Boyd and other brothers on the team, the flag football contest provides a rare opportunity. The players rarely find themselves cheering for another football team on campus.
“You know, it’s just fun to be on the other side of it,” Krimm said. “You get to talk some smack when you are a viewer as opposed to being on the field.”
While an intramural championship is special for any Greek organization, Boyd pointed out the significance of Sigma Nu coming away with a victory tonight.
“It doesn’t matter if they are playing hockey or if they are playing any other sport,” Boyd said. “But it just so happens that they will be playing the same sport that I love to, so it is even that much more important for me.”
Krimm echoed Boyd’s sentiments.
“In football, we definitely expect our team to win,” Krimm said.
An interesting subplot to the game is the presence of Sigma Nu and the absence of Phi Psi, which one would predict to be the other “flag football” powerhouse. With many players on the team being a member of one or the other — Sigma Nu or Phi Kappa Psi — it creates a reason for a little friendly verbal sparring. Other players on the team in Phi Kappa Psi are senior co-captain Colin Nash and senior linebacker Ryan Blessing.
“It’s more between us,” Boyd said. “It doesn’t matter if we are playing basketball or any other sport we want to beat them. It’s a competitive thing between us. We are competitive houses, it’s just the way we are. But when it’s all said it done, we are still friends and we do whatever to keep the team together.”