W. Tennis Survives Cold; Goldstein Wins Twice for Men

With all the cold weather in Ithaca, it’s natural to think about ice hockey but the men’s and women’s tennis teams’ performance this past weekend deserves some attention. The women’s team hosted the Cornell Winter Invitational and held serve winning the Flight A singles in addition to the Flight B doubles titles. The men’s team, on the road at the Columbia Classic, took home the Flight B singles title and the Flight A doubles title.
Freshman Sinziana Chis captured the Flight A singles championship for the Red. Chis had to labor through five sets in on her way to the championship. She dropped her first set of the day to Army’s Anne Houghton in the semifinals before winning four straight sets. Chis defeated Temple’s Dina Senkina, 6-2, 6-4, in the finals. On the doubles front, senior Ashley Ebbert and freshman Melissa Orteza teamed up to defeat Army’s sophomore duo of Kristin Beehler and Paige Ford in the Flight B championships.[img_assist|nid=27045|title=Say cheese|desc=Junior Catherine Duboc and the Red stayed in Ithaca for the Cornell Winter Invitational last weekend.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
Junior Josh Goldstein led the men’s team to both of their titles. Goldstein defeated sophomore teammate John Fife in a tight three-set match (3-6, 6-3, 6-4) to capture the Flight B singles title. Later in the day Goldstein teamed with freshman Jeremy Feldman to battle their way to a 8-6 semifinal win over Yale’s junior Josh Lederman and freshman Calvin Bennett.