Grapplers Turn to Underclassmen

The wrestling team is frankly feeling pretty good right about now, as the Red (4-5, 1-0 Ivy) extended its winning streak to three on Saturday with victories against Hofstra, Columbia and Wagner. One of the most encouraging aspects of the team’s resurgence is the fact that the underclassmen in particular have been dominating on the mat, with freshmen wrestling in more than half of the eight total weight class bouts in last weekend’s dual meet against Columbia.
Cornell’s underclassmen have amassed an impressive amount of experience already, with both freshman Mack Lewnes and Justin Kerber taking a year off between successful high school and collegiate seasons to train at the state-of-the-art Olympic Training Center in Colorado.
Every freshman has his own unique story of how he ultimately came to Cornell, whether as a transfer or high school recruit. But their combined determination to become part of the Red squad unites their varied experiences.
Freshman Mike Grey spent last year at Tompkins Cortland Community College. Although he did not wrestle with the Cornell team, he spent the year training with the Finger Lakes Wrestling Club and competing in open tournaments.
Junior captain Jordan Leen explained why wrestlers can benefit from extra training. Unlike some sports, for example, track and field, where athletes may be peaking at around 18 or 19 years old, wrestlers who compete straight out of high school are at a disadvantage when matched up against upperclassmen who are more mature both emotionally and physically.
That said, true freshman D.J. Meagher, currently wrestling at 149 pounds, has been more than holding his own against far more experienced opponents.
“[Meagher is] really a great guy,” Leen said. “He’s been beating good kids pretty bad. He’s just got this grit and an incredible drive to win.”
Meagher, who typically walks onto the mat to the strains of the Lil’ Wayne classic Go DJ, won both of his matches last weekend in dominant fashion.
Kerber has quickly earned the reputation for being as humble about his abilities as he is strong.
“[Kerber] is just so physically superior,” Leen said. “He demands [other wrestlers’] respect.”
Lewnes and Grey, No. 4 at 165 and No. 2 at 133 pounds, respectively, have already earned a reputation as being fearsome competitors no matter who their opponents are.
“They’re just phenomenal wrestlers with a lot of talent,” Leen said. “Really, their records speak for themselves. What they are able to do is just ridiculous.”
[img_assist|nid=27680|title=Holding on for dear life|desc=The wrestling squad looks towards freshman phenoms to lead the program to new heights in the future.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]This much young talent naturally has many on the team drooling over their prospects for next season.
“I get giddy when I think about next year,” Leen said.
But this year is far from over, and there are plenty of matches left for the freshman to showcase their ever-evolving talent, sometimes to the surprise of unwitting opponents.
“No one knows these guys yet,” Leen said. “And so it’s just so fun to watch [wrestlers like Meagher and Kerber] improve at such a fantastic rate.”
Watching them steamroll their competition is probably pretty fun, as well.are.
This much young talent naturally has many on the team drooling over their prospects for next season.
Watching them steamroll their competition is probably pretty fun, as well.