Winless Weekend Drops Fencing to Fifth Place

After going 2-2 in the first round of the Ivy League Championships on Jan. 3, the Cornell fencing team went 0-2 on Sunday, finishing the tournament 2-4, good for fifth place overall. This is the second year in a row that the Red has finished the tournament in the No. 5 spot.
Columbia won the tournament for the second year in a row, with Penn taking second and Harvard and Brown rounding out the top tier in a two-way tie for third place.
[img_assist|nid=27675|title=Crouching tiger, hidden fencer|desc=Failing to earn a victory Sunday, Cornell fell to fifth place in the Ivy League Championships.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]Junior Alex Heiss continued to perform well for the Red, going 3-3 in the second round of the championships but 12-6 overall in sabre. Epee specialist and sophomore Katherine Thompson had the best record of the day for Cornell, going 4-6. Freshman Jessica Tranquada led the Red in foil with a 9-9 record.
Cornell opened the day against a strong Penn team. The Quakers had little trouble overpowering the Red, 18-9. Cornell epee was able to put up some resistance, however, losing a close 5-4 fight.
The second match up of the day pitted Cornell against Harvard. In a slightly more competitive match, the Crimson’s far more balanced squad defeated the Red, 17-10. The epee fighters again performed best for Cornell. Heiss also found success, taking two of her three matches against a first team All-Ivy opponent, Alex Weingarden.