Fencing Team Sends Four Members to NCAA Championships, Looks to Continue Season’s Recent Success

Cornell fencing has been enjoying a good amount of success this season. They took the Cornell Invitational and also beat Ivy rivals Brown and Yale. March 2, at the NCAA Northeast Regionals the Red finished with five fencers in the top-10 of their respective categories. But the team’s biggest challenge yet of the year is still just around the corner — the NCAA championships. [img_assist|nid=28720|title=Ghost busters|desc=Fencing placed first at the Cornell Invitational on Nov. 18. The Invitational was Cornell’s first offical team win of the season, but it would not be the last.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
Cornell will be sending four fencers to the tournament his year: freshman Jessica Tranquada (foil), sophomore Sallie Dietrich (epee), sophomore Tasha Hall (epee) and junior Alex Heiss (saber).
The tournament begins on March 13, and is being hosted by Ohio State University. Apparel and equipment check in is on Wednesday, and competition lasts from Thursday through Sunday.
The women’s half of the competition is restricted to Thursday and Friday however, with the men competing during the second half of the weekend.
Cornell does not have a varsity men’s team, but it has held its own among men’s and women’s teams alike.