Men's Basketball Faces Stanford in NCAA Tournament; Women's Hoops Defeats Dartmouth for NCAA Bid

NEW YORK CITY — Cornell basketball had a historic weekend, with the men’s squad earning a No. 14 seed in the NCAA tournament, and the women’s team dominating a playoff game to earn its first-ever NCAA Tournament bid. It is the first time in Cornell history that both the men’s and women’s basketball teams will play in the NCAA Tournament in the same season, and only the third time any Cornell basketball team has ever earned a bid to the tournament.

The men will face No. 3-seeded Stanford, in Anaheim, on Thursday. It is Cornell’s first bid in 20 years and Stanford’s 16th overall bid. Read all about the men’s team’s first Ivy title and trip to the tournament in 20 years here.

The women’s squad defeated Dartmouth, 64-47, to secure its first-ever spot in the NCAA tournament this afternoon at Columbia’s Levien Gym. The Red was locked in a three-way tie with the Green and the Crimson for the Ivy League championship, so the teams were seeded into a playoff to determine who would receive the automatic NCAA and NIT tournament bids. Cornell was randomly selected to have a first-round bye, while Dartmouth defeated Harvard on Friday to earn its matchup with Cornell.

The Red will learn its seed, who it faces in the opening round and when during Monday’s women’s basketball selection show.

Update: Women face UConn in first round