Preparing for Heps, Relaxed Red Hosts Reif Memorial Run

Cornell will host the Reif Memorial Run today on the Moakley Course, as the men’s and women’s cross country teams wrap up the regular season and get set for Heps, which will take place next weekend. Both teams will rest their top runners, but there is still some intrigue with the race.
On the women’s side, most of the 12-person team that will compete at Heps is set, and those runners who have secured a spot on the team will have the weekend off to rest. There are still a few spots that are unsettled and the runners still battling for the final spots will look to make a strong impression in the race.
“People that are kind of on the borderline have to have good races to ensure their spot at Heps,” said senior Katie Roll, who will race today.
For most of the team, especially those runners that are not likely to race in the postseason, Roll says that today’s race is a fun race for the team and that it will not be as pressure-packed as other races during the season.
On the men’s side, the situation is even more relaxed.
“Usually the person who wins this race is the 12th man at Heps, but not this year.” said junior Dan Cerqueira. “It doesn’t really have an impact on the Heps squad.”
The Heps squad is already set for the men. Seniors Zac Hine, Sam Luff and Andy Miller, juniors Joel Frost-Tift, Charlie Hatch and Pete Loy and sophomores Adrien Dannemiller, Nate Edelman, Drew Hart, Max Kasak, John Means and Hassan Shalla will represent the Red in the Ivy League Championships.
None of the aforementioned 12 runners will compete today. Instead, the rest of the team will get a chance to showcase their capabilities.
The race is especially important for younger runners who will get a taste of being at or near the front of the pack, which may come in handy in future years.
The meet honors former cross country team member John Reif, who was killed in a bicycle accident.