Equestrian Kicks Off Season With Second-Place Finish At Hartwick Fall Show

The equestrian team kicked off its season this past weekend at the Hartwick Fall Show, finishing second behind Skidmore. The show, held in Oneonta, N.Y., featured riders from 15 schools in the region, including Colgate, Binghamton, Elmira, Albany, RPI and Ithaca.
The Red’s second-place finish was fueled by contributions across the board. Cornell started the day competing in open fences and scored major points with senior Jess Bemis winning her section.
In the other fence classes — intermediate and novice — Cornell scored enough points to put the squad in first at the midway point of the show. Georgina Melbye rode to second in intermediate fences and sophomore Kelsey Craig won the blue ribbon in novice fences.
The second segment of day was the flat classes. Dana Kendrick won her class in the open competition while Melbye rode successfully for a second time, winning the intermediate flat class. Craig notched her second class win of the day, placing first in the novice flat competition.
The Walk-trot-canter and walk-trot competitions finished off the day. The Red secured its second-place finish with senior Marie Cernaowicz taking second in walk-trot-cantor and junior Ji-Min Kim winning her class in the walk-trot competition. Her performance qualified her for the Regional championships.