How November 4th Will Change Your Weekend

The country (read: the Electoral College) has spoken – Obama and Biden 2008. But I’m not about to write about what this decision means for social security, the War in Iraq or our public school system. I’d rather delve into what it means for Saturday Night Live.

To be frank, the show was in a Dark Age before Tina Fey donned the Sarah Palin wig and Amy Poehler dusted off her Hillary Clinton shoulder pads. Saturday Night Live was dominated by skits that weren’t funny, characters who were overused and Kenan Thompson, whose career peaked with genius alongside Kel Mitchell in Kenan and Kel. But since all the Election 2008 shenanigans began, the show has risen from the ashes as a real tour de force for sketch comedy.

This isn’t a new trend, though. When it comes to Dana Carvey’s unforgettable George Bush, Sr. impression, well, “it wouldn’t be prudent” to forget it. Take a trip back to mid-1990s America, and you’ll remember Darrell Hammond’s sketch where Bill Clinton goes on his daily jog into the nearest McDonald’s, and steals Chicken McNuggets off of little kids’ plates. The show has a long history of revival at the hand of the political sector.

[img_assist|nid=33335|title=Dana Carvey as George Bush, Sr.|desc=|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]

In an age where the entertainment world serves increasingly important function in politics, though, it becomes crucial to check for accuracy. SNL has seen such great success because its mini-plots don’t reflect the political views of the actors who portray the characters. Instead, their impressions are spot on and speak for themselves, without the need for below-the-belt political jabs.

When Barack Obama is inaugurated in January, he will not only commit himself to the American people, but to the cast of SNL’s rekindled talent.