Dartmouth Pulls Off Overtime Win Against W. Soccer

The women’s soccer team pushed Saturday night’s game against Dartmouth into overtime. The Green delivered the last goal, however, leaving the Red with a 3-2 loss in its last game of the season.
“[Head coach Danielle LaRoche] said before the game that we wanted to end the season how we want to start next season,” said freshman forward Brook Chang.
The Green (8-6-2, 2-4-1 Ivy) arrived on Berman Field ready to end its season on a positive note, while the Red (2-12-1, 1-6) was fired up to gain a win for Cornell’s lone senior, captain Whitney Stich.
In the first four minutes of the game, Dartmouth scored its first goal when senior Becky Poskin ran the ball down the left side of the field before passing it to sophomore Peyton Teta, who sent a strike to the far post and past Cornell’s sophomore goaltender Jodi Palmer.[img_assist|nid=33440|title=Comeback kid|desc=Junior Eva Dixon (27) knotted the score at 2 against Dartmouth Saturday. The Red would lose, 3-2, in overtime.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
Dartmouth built on its momentum, adding another point to the scoreboard 30 minutes later — a corner kick sent the ball into Cornell’s box, and sophomore Sarah Bromley guided it into the back of the net, making the score 2-0. Throughout the first period, the Green outshot the Red, 17-4, but Palmer remained strong in goal to keep Dartmouth in check.
“Coach [LaRoche] said [at halftime] that we’ve never made a comeback and it was our time to do so in this last game,” Chang said. “We have nothing to lose and this game we were playing for Whit [Stich]. Everyone’s heart went into it to win. We played for her.”
Dartmouth switched its goalies with a little less than 25 minutes remaining in regulation, and Cornell took advantage. In the 82nd minute, sophomore captain Lena Russomagno ran the ball down the right side of the field to Chang, who headed it into the net.
The Red had a repeat situation with nine seconds remaining in the game when Russomagno made another cross, sending the ball towards junior captain Eva Dixon, who was able to tie the score at 2 and send the game into overtime.
With the crowd on its feet, the Red tried its best to maintain its form and communication on the field. Yet, the Green was able to net the game-winning goal when junior Myra Sack crossed the ball into the Red’s zone, giving Poskin a one-on-one opportunity against Palmer. Poskin buried the low shot to end the game.
With the Green outshooting the Red, 39-15, Palmer made an outstanding 12 saves compared to Dartmouth’s five saves.
Freshman Samantha Wright made a crucial save in the second period, helping to keep the game within reach for the Red. Despite the loss, the Red demonstrated its improvement this season, with this game marking the team’s first comeback.
“I think what we do as a team this offseason will have a major effect on the outcome of our team next year,” said freshman defender Sidra Bonner.
At the game, the Red honored its only senior with a movie recounting Stich’s four years playing for Cornell, as her family and friends watched from the sidelines.
“The season went by so fast, which is a bitter sweet feeling,” Bonner said. “It’s sad because this team will never play or travel together again because we are losing Stitch, who has had a prominent role on our team.”