Three Fencers Crack Top 10 in First Tourney of Year

The fencing team got off to a great start this weekend with its first tournament of the season. After two open pools, several Red fencers made it to the direct elimination round, with three women making placing in the top-10.
The Temple Collegiate Open, which was attended by 32 colleges, is an individual tournament and therefore does not count towards the NCAA championships. Nevertheless, head coach Iryna Dolgikh said the team used the event to “check our power” and introduce the freshmen to college-level fencing.
The freshmen did very well, with four of the five placing into the direct elimination round of the tournament. Freshman Rebecca Hirschfield placed 10th in foil, but said, “I was so close to doing even better, it takes away from it … But there will be plenty more to come and I’ll have plenty more opportunities to get the last touch. I’m optimistic.”
She said the tournament was like a “blend of high school and national tournaments … It was different, but still challenging, which was good. I was also nervous to be representing my college now, and not just myself.”
Also on the foil squad is sophomore foil co-captain, Jessica Tranquada, who finished seventh out of the 98 foil fencers.
“I was really excited to fence in the Temple Open this year,” she said. Last year she was hurt and this year she almost did not recover in time from a bout of mono. “I wasn’t expecting results that high.”
Rounding out the foil squad were sophomore Analise Peleggi, who finished 17th, junior co-foil captain Dana Baines, who came in 18th, and freshman Quinn O’Neil who placed 58th.
Team and co-epee captain junior Katherine Thompson, finished in seventh place out 86 fencers, and sophomore co-epee captain Christine Wilkinson came in 14th.
The saber squad placed the most women with senior Alex Heiss placing 14th. Co-saber captain sophomore Gwen Waichman placed 17th, senior Allison Wollenberg placed 25th, junior Kathleen Halpin came in 67th place, freshman Lilia Lavrov placed 77th, and freshman Emily Kearney tied for 83rd, as did junior co-saber captain Allison Ewing.