Red Tops Ivy Foes in Final Events of Cross Country Season

The women’s cross country team had a triumphant ending to its season on Saturday. The Red placed just ahead of Ivy foe Harvard to win the ECAC championship for the third time in four seasons.
In a field consisting of 11 teams and 97 runners, Cornell placed five runners in the top-21 en route to victory. The Red’s team score of 67 points was 12 points ahead of Harvard and 20 points better than any other team in the field.[img_assist|nid=33837|title=Sprint to the finish|desc=The women’s cross country team edged Harvard by 12 points to take home the ECAC championship for the third time in four seasons. Senior captain Aeriel Emig finished second just four seconds behind Harvard’s Nicole Cochran.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
Senior captain Aeriel Emig just missed an individual victory in her final collegiate race. She finished in second place and was just four seconds behind Harvard freshman Nicole Cochran.
“I was pleased with my performance,” Emig said. “I was mainly j ust happy with the fact that the team won.”
Emig’s classmate Fiona Cundy also had an impressive showing in her final race, as the senior finished 12th. Junior Stephanie Pancoast finished right behind Cundy for 13th place. Emig, Cundy and Pancoast each earned All-East recognition for their performances.
Freshman Meghan Brown completed her impressive rookie season with a 19th place finish. Sophomore Katie Sullivan crossed the finish line just seven seconds after Brown and earned 21st place. Senior Marie Parks and sophomore Maura Carroll also competed for Cornell.
The men’s team also ran at Van Cortlandt Park — competing in the IC4A Championships, which is the male counterpart to the ECACs that the women run. The Red placed fourth in a 15-team field and was first among the five Ivy League schools competing at the event. The Red finished ahead of Princeton and Columbia — the two schools that finished ahead of Cornell at Heps.
“The people that were running at the meet were [Princeton and Columbia’s] B-teams,” said sophomore Adrien Dannemiller.
Because the top racers from those schools were not competing, the team took little satisfaction in avenging their third place score at Heps.
Dannemiller led the way for the Red in the race on Saturday. He finished fifth overall and earned All-East honors.
“I was pretty happy with my performance considering the weather conditions,” Dannemiller said, “It was pretty cold, which makes it difficult to race, and it was windy.”
Classmate Nate Edelman placed seventh overall and was also named to the All-East team. Senior Sam Luff earned 30th place in his final race for Cornell. Sophomore Drew Hart crossed the finish line in 52nd place. Junior Kyle Wolpert rounded out the scoring for the Red by finishing 66th overall. Freshman Chandler Kemp also raced for Cornell.
One member of the Red who did not compete was senior Zac Hine. Hine was allowed to skip the meet so that he could train and rest on his own schedule in preparation for today’s NCAA Championship meet. Hine will be the lone representative of Cornell at the meet and hopes to attain individual success since Cornell was unable to qualify as a team. This will mark the third consecutive year that exactly one Cornellian has competed at Nationals as Hine will follow in the footsteps of Sage Canaday ’08 and Toni-Lynn Salucci ’07.