Johnston Ready to Control the Ice

With hockey running in the family blood, sophomore Rebecca Johnston grew up playing hockey and has already proven herself early in her career as she laces up her skates for her second season of collegiate hockey.
Last year, Johnston was an offensive force with 16 goals and 16 assists, and this year is no different as she leads the team with 12 points, six goals and six assists thus far. Johnston earned her second ECAC Hockey Player of the Week award of the season this week after playing a key role in the Red’s victories over Brown and Yale.
A two-time player on the Under-22 Canadian National team, Johnston recently returned from skating for team Canada in the Four Nations Cup. While there, she helped the team pick up its silver medal.
Johnston wasted no time readjusting to the Cornell lineup after returning from her games with Team Canada. In her first weekend back skating with the Red, she picked up four goals for the team. In the 3-2 overtime win over Brown, she netted two goals that were critical in maintaining the Red’s presence on the ice. Johnston then scored another pair of goals in the Red’s matchup against Yale.
This season holds much promise for Johnston after she was held back before the start of the last season due to a back injury, and wasn’t able to train to her full potential. Healthy this season, Johnston has been able to come into this year stronger and more prepared than ever.
“Rebecca is a hard working player and probably the most explosive player I’ve ever seen in girl’s hockey,” said head coach Doug Derraugh ’91. “I don’t think there’s a girl more challenging to play against than Rebecca. Her first three or four strides I think are better than anybody in women’s hockey right now. I consider her to be one of the top players in Canada and the world for that matter.