Senior Captain Becomes ‘Go-To’ Forward

On a roster that features only one other senior, Shannan Scarselletta will see an increased role this year not only because of her on-court play, but because of her reliable leadership for the young squad.
Last year, Scarselletta played in each of Cornell’s 29 games, averaging over 20 minutes per game.
“She was like a sixth starter last year,” said head coach Dayna Smith. “Shannan has definitely had some experience.”
So far this season, the 6-1 forward has been an important contributor, anchoring the starting lineup as a physical presence down low. Against Duquesne in the season-opener, Scarselletta played a team-high 31 minutes, scoring 10 points and grabbing six rebounds, while forcing three turnovers and going 6-of-9 from the free-throw line. In Cornell’s win over Albany, Scarselletta had another strong game, hauling in a team-high 10 boards and two steals.
Often playing as the only forward in a four-guard system, Scarselletta is a valuable member of the defending Ivy League champions. She combines a powerful force in the low-post with exceptional court vision for her position. Her entire career, Scarselletta has been a consistent scorer and rebounder, but is also praised by her teammates for being able to do the “little things” right, such as setting proper screens and making smart passes.
“We’ve tried to get the ball inside to her, and now, all of a sudden, she’s putting up some big numbers,” Smith said. “She just had to build some confidence in herself.”