W. Polo Looks to Finish Undefeated

The quote from legendary sports film Remember the Titans — “No one in this world is perfect, but this team is perfect” — can certainly be applied to the women’s polo team. Heading into Saturday’s 2 p.m. faceoff with Yale at the Oxley Equestrian Center in Ithaca, the Red holds a 13-0 record.
The men’s team’s accompanying weekend matchup with the Bulldogs has been postponed.
Fresh off of a Bill Field Invitational championship and a two-week hiatus, senior Ariana Constant and the rest of her teammates are looking to chalk up one more “W” before the long winter break.
“As the last game of the semester, we’re looking to have a good time while remaining undefeated,” said Constant, a veteran leader for the Red.
Cornell has met the Bulldogs twice already this season, once in New Haven, Conn., and once in Ithaca. The Red’s combined 41-point scoring advantage was accumulated over 23-5 and 30-7 victories over the Bulldogs.
There are a number of gameplans that head coach David Eldredge ’81 might employ. He could play the starters (Constant, fellow seniors Emily Bold and Erin Bold and sophomore Lizzie Wisner) to build up a little more chemistry going into the long break. He may also give players that rarely see the field a chance to perform. Likely, a combination of the two methods will be utilized. This is the luxury a coach has when his dominant team has created wide gaps in talent and productivity levels between the Red and its opponents.
“Coach [Eldredge] will most likely rotate a bunch of the alternates in to play, seeing that we have soundly beaten Yale twice before,” Constant said.
No matter the Red’s approach to the game, a victory will be the likely result. Perhaps, the Red will emulate the pregame dance entrance used by the Titans of T.C. Williams High.
Then again, it’s awful hard to dance when you’re on a horse.