Men's, Women's Cagers Drop Non-Conference Matchups

The men’s and women’s basketball teams both dropped tough non-conference games on Monday night. The men couldn’t hold on to a 13-point first half lead as St. Joseph’s used a late 11-3 run to come out on top, 71-67. St. Bonaventure trounced the women, 70-49, in their first game after a 21-day break.
St. Joseph’s Ahmad Nivins had a hot shooting night to lead the Hawk offense with 26 points and 16 rebounds including 16 points and 11 boards in the second half. Nivins also recorded seven offensive rebounds after the break. The Hawks were aggressive on the offensive glass and had a 16-10 advantage in offensive rebounds, which led to a 22-8 edge in second-chance points.
The Red offense wasn’t too shabby in the loss, however. Three players reached double figures for the visitors — junior forward Ryan Wittman led the team with 16 points while classmates Louis Dale notched 15 and Geoff Reeves added 13.
With the loss, the men’s team falls to 5-6 on the season, and has lost four of its last five games.
The women’s team also had a hot start; it held early leads of 7-3 and 9-5 before the Bonnies scored 18 straight points to take a 23-9 lead with 8:20 remaining in the first half. St. Bonaventure’s shooters had a field day with the Red defense, hitting 46.4 percent from the field and an impressive 47.1 from behind the 3-point line.
Senior forward Shannan Scarselletta scored 14 points to lead the Red while junior guard Allie Fedorowicz added 12 points and six boards.
The women’s squad fell to 4-4 on the season.