Jay Walker ’77 Named Entrepreneur of the Year

Jay Walker ’77 has been given another title to go along with the many others he has earned throughout his career since graduating from the College of Industrial and Labor Relations. Walker was named the 2009 Cornell Entrepreneur of the Year. He will give an address on campus on April 16 during the Entrepreneur-ship@Cornell Celebration, according to the University.
In addition to recognizing entrepreneurial success, the title of Cornell Entrepreneur of the Year goes to the individual who best illustrates a dedication to community service and high ethical standards.
Walker is currently the chairman of Walker Digital LLC and the lead inventor of Walker Digital Management, LLC, a company that “solves business problems by studying human behavior and designing unusual solutions utilizing modern information technologies,” according to the company website. He alone holds 200 patents in a multitude of fields.
Walker Digital is best known for launching priceline.com in 1998, a billion-dollar company that helps consumers get deals on flights, hotels, rental cars and other travel necessities.
Walker’s name has also been included in many prestigious lists throughout his career, according to the Walker Digital website. Time Magazine has twice named Walker one of the “50 Most Influential Business Leaders in the Digital Age,” Business Week dubbed him as one of the 25 Internet pioneers most responsible for changing the competitive nature of business, and Newsweek claimed him as one of three executives at the head of Internet commerce revolution.
Some of Walker’s community service accomplishments include establishing yappr.com, one of the leading websites in the world for people trying to learn English. Walker is also on the board of World Information Transfer, an organization of the United Nations, and he frequents college campuses and television and radio programs as a speaker.