Men’s Polo Team Triumphs Over Skidmore at Home

On Saturday evening, the Cornell men’s polo team took on the Skidmore Thoroughbreds at the Oxley Equestrian Center. In its first game since its two-month winter respite, the Red looked anything but rusty. The men racked up a dominating 26 points more than their opponents, while allowing only one goal, en route to a 27-1 victory. With the win, Cornell moves to 8-2 for the season.
The Red was aided by a balanced scoring attack, with several teammates getting gin on the scoring. Seniors Bobby Harvey and Rich Weidel started the game alongside sophomore Max Constant. Constant scored several goals right off the bat and helped his squad notch 14 points in the first chukker alone. As a result of Constant’s seven first-chukker goals, the Red ended the first chukker up by 11. [img_assist|nid=34452|title=Hold your horses|desc=Sophomore Max Constant finished with eight goals in Saturday’s contest against Skidmore.|link=node|align=right|width=|height=0]
The Red grabbed this lead and ran with it, never looking back.
Senior Tim Scott and sophomore Dan Grew both received significant playing time throughout the match. Harvey, Weidel and Constant each played three chukkers’ worth of polo.
Grew was abroad last semester in Australia, but kept up his equine familiarity by training racehorses Down Under. Grew provided a spark off the bench that the team may have missed when he was away during the fall portion of the season. His three goals made him tied for the fourth highest scorer of the match, along with Scott.
“It was a good warm-up for everyone for the spring season,” said Harvey.
The Red knows, however, that there are bigger shrimp to grill on the Barbie. The Cavaliers of Virginia charge into Ithaca on Saturday, having disposed of the Red by 18 and 10 goals, respectively, earlier in the season.