Sports Briefs: 2-19-09

The women’s tennis team looks to rebound this weekend when it faces Binghamton University and the University of Buffalo in a back-to-back home set. Cornell suffered a disappointing loss to Harvard on Sunday, falling short, 1-6, in its final match of the ECAC Women’s Tennis Team Championships.
In the Red’s (3-2, 0-0 Ivy) loss, sophomore Leah Seyburn at the No. 6 spot put forth an impressive outing, posting a 1-6, 6-2, 10-8 comeback. Senior captain Shayna Miller and senior Elizabeth Googe at the No. 2 spot also picked up Cornell’s only doubles win. The Red looks to build on these wins as it faces two tough teams with upcoming talent.
The first challenge will be against a Binghamton team coming off a come-from-behind win over Army on Sunday, 4-3. The Bearcats (4-1) had wins from sophomore Yulia Smirnova, who knocked off Caitlin Finnegan, 7-6 (1), 6-3, and junior Danyelle Shapiro, who took a 6-1, 6-1 decision against Audrey Hansen at No. 6 singles. Freshman Basak Gone also won, 6-3, 7-5, at fifth singles against Annie Hang, but it was fellow freshman Marina Bykovskaya who made the difference. Bykovskaya won the clinching match at fourth singles, defeating Charlee Warford, 6-7 (4), 6-3, 6-2.
Shortly after its match against Binghamton, the Red will face the University of Buffalo, which lost its last outing to Syracuse by a score of 5-2. Despite the loss, however, the Bull’s dynamic duo Denise Harijanto and Diana Popescu continued their recent success, posting both individual wins in their respective singles matches and joint wins in the doubles department. Junior Anna Subenkova took her match to three sets before conceding to Chelsea Jones of Syracuse, 6-4, 6-7 (6), 3-10.
— Compiled by Folajimi Fowose

This weekend, the fencing team will travel to Brown for the final half of the Ivy League Championship, where the women will face Columbia, Yale and the University of Pennsylvania.
Team and junior co-epee captain Katherine Thompson is optimistic about the tournament.
“Columbia is a very tough match,” she said; however, “we have a chance against all three.”
This competition marks the last NCAA meet for the team this season, so it will be the last chance the fencers have to win the bouts necessary to compete in the upcoming NCAA Regionals.
“Hopefully we’ll qualify lots of girls for Regionals — we’ll be able to get the needed bouts,” Thompson said.
She added that since this is the last official meet, “We’re even more motivated to do our best.”
Two weekends ago, during the first half of the Championship, which was held at Columbia, the women finished 1-2, beating Brown, 17-10, but losing to fifth-ranked Harvard, 6-21, and seventh-ranked Princeton, 11-16.
— Compiled by Jasmine Marcus

Coming off a meet in which the gymnastics team posted its highest point total of the season while still losing to ECAC rival Towson, the Red will get another shot against the Tigers this weekend. The team travels to Towson, Md. to compete in the Shelly Calloway Invitational, and will look to rebound from its 192.450-191.550 defeat. Fellow competitors will also include Ivy League foe Penn and ECAC opponent Ursinus. Although the Red posted its highest score of the season in its slim loss to Towson, the team still had to account for various falls in the score. If the Red is able to eliminate even more falls, the team will certainly be in a good position to win.
—Compiled by Ware Cady

This weekend, the equestrian team will compete on its home turf for the first show of the season, the Cornell Show. Teams including Skidmore, Hartwick and Colgate will travel to Ithaca to take on the Red at the Oxley Equestrian Center.
While the show is a regular season event, the Red hopes to maintain the high rank that it achieved in the fall.
“Skidmore, typically our toughest competitor, will be hard to beat,” said junior tri-captain Heather Sherman. “But we are optimistic. Everyone has been riding really strong.”
The Red will look to meet or surpass its third-place finish in the Fall Cornell Show.
“We always do well at our home show,” Sherman said. “So we are going into the show confident, but will put our best effort forward, as always.”
Senior tri-captains Dana Kendrick and Caroline Shulman will be competing in Open Fences, with Sherman competing in Intermediate Flat. Junior Zoe Samuel will compete in Novice Fences, attempting to follow up her first-place showing in Intermediate Flat at the Fall Cornell Show.
Events will be taking place all day on Sunday.
— Compiled by Leigha Kemmett