Two Standout W. B-Ball Rookies Turning Heads

Rookies Allison Abt and Allie Munson are turning heads with their recent play on the court for the women’s basketball team. Both rookies seem to have the air of seasoned veterans, and have become integral to the Red’s success.
Allison Abt was commended by the Ivy League, awarded Rookie of the Week honors for her impressive performance last weekend against Yale and Brown. In the Red’s 80-62 victory over Yale, Abt was 7-for-10 from the floor and 3-for-5 from deep for a career high 20 points. Abt also pulled down three rebounds and blocked one shot for the Red, helping the team break a four-game skid. Against Brown, Abt scored eight points and racked up a game- and career-high eight rebounds, while picking up an assist and blocking one shot.
[img_assist|nid=35519|title=When it counts|desc=Freshman swingman Allison Abt (34) has posted exceptional numbers in Ivy League play this season.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
“It’s really exciting to be named the rookie of the week,” said Abt. “It made it that much sweeter that we were able to go undefeated in the weekend, beating two very good teams.”
Abt’s quality play is especially important for the Red, as it faces tough Ancient Eight opponents in the coming weeks. Abt has gradually improved her play in the clutch. Abt currently averages 6.1 points and 2.6 rebounds per game. She hit her stride as the season wore on; her numbers surged to 8.6 points per game and 3.4 rebounds per game, compared to the 3.4 points and 1.4 rebounds she averaged vs. non-conference opponents earlier in the season.
Junior guard Virginia McMunigal said of Abt, “Allison is a big part of what we do and she is well deserving of the honor. As of late, she has been very aggressive and has done a good job of maintain her focus and fulfilling her role adequately.”
Abt’s classmate, Allie Munson, has also showed her prowess on the court. The freshman from Connecticut played a dominant role in the Red’s first conference win, 58-53, over Columbia. Munson, who also was named the Ivy League Rookie of the Week earlier in the season, connected on 8-of-9 shots from the floor, recording a career-high 17 points. Her seven rebounds and two blocked shots were also crucial in helping the Red rally from an eight-point halftime deficit. Munson followed her breakout performance with a solid effort in the Red’s win at Brown, posting an impressive seven-point, four rebound, two block and one steal stat line in the Red’s victory at Brown.
Not that any of this as come as a surprise to her teammates.
“Allie is a very strong player whose production we will need during this stretch of conference games. She does a good job at playing well on both sides of the ball and that is key for our team,” McMunigal said.
Abt and Munson look to continue their dominant play for the Red in upcoming games against Dartmouth and Harvard. Their performances will be critical in determining the outcomes of both games.
“Everybody on our team plays a significant role in our success, but obviously having Allison and Allie perform like they recently have, greatly improves our chances of winning any time we step on the court,” McMunigal said.