The Useless Keyboard

Out of curiosity, has anyone actually heard of the Optimus Maximus keyboard?

No? Well that’s okay, I wouldn’t have expected you to hear about it. And if you HAD heard about it, I would be impressed.

Very impressed.

For those not in the know, the Optimus Maximus keyboard is an advanced keyboard with each key being an LED screen that allows you to customize your keyboard. No longer will you be bound by the QWERTY keyboard of the world, you can break free and create your own keyboard configuration as you wish.

While initially that may seem like a very good idea, the second someone actually tries to implement this feature will make it painfully obvious that it’s only a gimmick that is meant to lure in peoples money. Think about it – the QWERTY keyboard is the most commonly used keyboard in the world, anyone who is going to be able to start reassigning an entire keyboard to fit their standards will have been already raised on the standard keyboard, meaning that the only customization that will occur is minute. In fact, the only kind of true customization will be to set up hotkeys or display the alphabet for another language, hardly something worth spending over $1500 for.

That’s right, this magical keyboard costs over $1500! To put it in perspective, a brand new 13 inch Macbook costs $1300. Not to mention that this keyboard requires 256 MB of RAM to even run properly. 256 MB!

So allow me to clarify, dear readers:

This is an expensive keyboard.

This is a resource hog keyboard (256mb of RAM, that’s enough to power Halo: PC )

Did I mention it’s expensive?

If someone were to, say, offer this for free to me, I would take it in a heartbeat. But when asked to buy it, I can’t in good conscience do so. Heck, I can’t even bring myself to recommend it to anyone. There really is no good reason at all to buy this… thing.