Golf Spring Season Begins With Road Trip to Towson Invitational

The golf team kicks off the spring half of its season this weekend when it travel to compete at Prospect Bay Country Club in Towson, Md., to compete in the Towson Invitational. The Red is eager to get a fresh start to this season and get back into the groove of playing competitive golf.
“We’re extremely excited,” said junior Robert Cronheim. “We’re ready to go out and play some competitive golf again. We’re all very eager to get back out there.”
The Red got their first taste of outdoor golf in months over spring break when they traveled down to Orlando, Fla., for the week. Led by lone upperclassmen, Cronheim, the Red returned to the course with vigor.
“It went well,” said sophomore Ben Myer. “We practiced in the morning and played courses at night. We hit indoors over the winter but being outside and actually playing definitely helps us out a lot more. And the weather was perfect, we couldn’t have asked for anything better.”
[img_assist|nid=36264|title=Tiger eye|desc=Junior Robert Cronheim is the elder statesman of the golf team and will be the driving force behind the Red’s hopes to do well in the spring. Cronheim joins three freshman on the starting squad.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
There is no doubt that the long winter-layoff will affect the Red’s overall performance. Regaining midseason form takes time. While the Red mainly primarily to go out and play well, they do recognize that some aspects of their games, particularly the short game, will take some perfecting.
“Everybody is different in terms of what they want to focus on most,” Myer said. “It’s mainly just about getting back into a rhythm. We’re only on our second day of being able to practice outside [in Ithaca]. However, I’d say that the short game is what takes the longest to get back.”
Head Coach Matt Baughan will be sending out three first-year players to compete at Towson. Freshmen Alex Simson and Alex Lavin, in addition to Myer, will join Cronheim and sophomore Dan Bosse to round out the five-man squad.
“We’re going with a completely different squad,” Cronehim said. “These are guys that are eager to go out and show what they can do.”
While the Red want to go out and play as well as they possibly can, they are aware that they still have a month to prepare for the Ivy League Championships in April.
“We just want to go out and make the best effort that we can,” Cronheim said. “We’re just looking to string together some good golf shots and put some good scores together. Our expectations aren’t as high for this weekend as they will be later in the season.”