Golf Places 14th at Invite; Junior Cronheim Shines

The golf team traveled to Maryland over the weekend for the Towson University Invitational. Without its top golfer, sophomore Matt Jaye, due to an injury suffered in the offseason, Cornell sent a young team out onto the course at Towson. Junior Robert Cronheim led sophomores Dan Bosse and Ben Myer, while freshmen Alex Lavin and Alex Simson rounded out the Red’s roster for its first invitational of the spring season.
The team finished 14th in a field of 17, while Cronheim led the Red individually — he placed ninth among 90 golfers in the field. [img_assist|nid=36408|title=Line it up|desc=Junior Robert Cronheim placed ninth out of 90 total golfers at the Towson University Invitational to lead the Red.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
Kent State, William and Mary and Seton Hall University took the top three positions, while John Hahn of Kent State won the individual portion of the meet.
The Towson course was drenched prior to the tournament, and the wet and windy weather remained constant throughout the weekend. Clearly, the conditions were less then ideal for golf, but the Red was looking for a better start after a strong winter practice season despite the weather setback.
Bosse, who shot a 234 over the weekend, hopes that the Cornell squad can get back on track as it gets deeper into the season.
“We felt like we underachieved,” Bosse said. “Rob [Cronheim] played OK. No one else really played to their potential. We felt a little rusty coming in. Hopefully we can shake that off soon, because playing bad golf is not fun. You know, missing Matt Jaye, [the team is] a work in progress.”
“It all leads up to Ivies,” Bosse added, “so if we’re ready by then, then that’s good news.”
For freshman Alex Lavin, it was his first collegiate start away from the friendly confines of Ithaca. Although the rookie struggled at times in Maryland, shooting a 254, he is confident that he can help the team as it progresses through the season and prepares for Ivy League competition.
“I was a bit rusty,” Lavin said. “I think with a little more practice, now that the weather is getting a little better, the next few weeks should turn out to be pretty good. I definitely felt a different pressure as far as this tournament compared to others that I’ve played because it was really my first traveling experience, but down the road that will definitely help me.”
Simson, the other freshman on the roster, shot a 233 — while Myer finished with a score of 251 on the weekend. Though the young team is inexperienced, both Bosse and Lavin made it clear that the team is progressing and everyone should be prepared to deliver when the Ivy League championship season rolls around.