Gymnastics Heads to USAG Nationals

The gymnastics team will begin competition in the USA Gymanstics National Championships today. The team is among 11 others vying for the national title. After a successful season with its only major loss coming against Towson, the Red is positioned to do well at USAG Championships.
The Red finished second in the ECAC championship meet to perennial rivals Towson University. However, The team saw it as a positive experience and is better prepared for nationals. The Red’s success all season will come down to three short days in New Haven at South Connecticut State University, where the Red will face many Ivy rivals and teams from coast to coast.
[img_assist|nid=36710|title=Keep it straight|desc=The Red will be competing for a national championship in New Haven, Conn. till Saturday.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
Among the Ivy competition, Yale and Brown will be in attendance. Both teams should not be much competition to the Red. In their last meeting at the Ivy Classic, Cornell dominated the competition, leading the final tallies by two points. The team will face much stiffer competition from William and Mary, Air Force, Temple and others.
Three years ago, Cornell played host to a tough field of competitiors. It was the first time ever that a non-athletic scholarship school advanced to the finals of a gymnastics national championship. Though competition will be tight again this year, the Red are more experienced and have a great shot at repeating the feat of coming in towards the top of the lineup in preliminaries.
The Red begin competition today against the entire field of 12 teams. If the team can place in the top third of the bracket it will move on to finals.