Alleged Homophobia Causes Outcry

A campus Christian group that receives funding from the student activity fee is coming under scrutiny after a student was asked by advisors to step down from its leadership team when he told them that he had openly accepted his homosexuality. This incident is also raising questions about the effectiveness of campus mechanisms for addressing instances of discrimination.
Chris Donohoe ’09, who joined the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship when he was a freshman, said he had been openly struggling to reconcile his sexuality with his faith in Chi Alpha before he was asked to step down from the leadership team by Matt and Tracy Herman, the organization’s pastors. The Hermans, both members of Chi Alpha at Missouri State University before graduating in 2002, became Cornell Chi Alpha’s campus pastors in 2006.
The leadership team consists of 12 or 13 especially dedicated students who lead bible studies, teach and are “good examples,” according to Danielle D’Ambrosio ’10, Chi Alpha’s president. The leadership team differs from titled leadership positions because students do not have to apply to be part of the team.
Before joining the leadership team, Donohoe was vice president during his junior year. To enter a titled position in Chi Alpha, students must apply through the Hermans and demonstrate that they uphold certain values, including not engaging in premarital sex, and refraining from drinking alcohol and taking drugs, according to Donohoe.
“I thought it would be an awesome opportunity to be an openly gay man in a Christian organization,” Donohoe said.
After Donohoe finished his term as vice president, he was going to be on the leadership team last fall. The Hermans told Donohoe that they were comfortable with his position as long as he did not engage in a relationship. However, after Donohoe met his boyfriend last summer and affirmed his acceptance of his sexuality, the Hermans asked him to step down from the team without consulting the rest of the organization.
“I told them I’ve thought about [my sexuality] and I’m 100 percent OK with my sexuality. … I wanted the opportunity to show them I love god and I’m gay and it’s OK,” Donohoe said.
D’Ambrosio explained that Donohoe was asked to step down because he no longer believed his sexuality was a sin and stopped actively working to overcome it, disregarding the Bible.
“The decision to ask Chris to step down was not that he did something wrong in having homosexual tendencies. [It was because] he no longer thought it was wrong. … I support the decision fully,” D’Ambrosio said.
Because Chi Alpha is an independent student organization registered with Cornell’s Student Activities Office, the situation has provoked a reaction from Cornell administrators.
“We are very concerned with what happened and we want to make sure this is a campus that does not discriminate in this way,” Dean of Students Kent Hubbell ’67 said.
Independent student organizations at Cornell are prohibited from discriminating membership on the basis of race, religion, gender and sexual orientation, according to the Student Activities Offices Independent Organization Contract. The anti-discrimination policy, however, does not extend to the leadership of independent student organizations.
While registered as an “independent” student organization, Chi Alpha still receives a share of the student activity fee, distributed by the Student Assembly Finance Commission.
This Spring, the SAFC allocated Chi Alpha upwards of $700, according to a source who asked to remain anonymous because he is not authorized to speak publicly on the matter.
Yuliya Neverova ’10, co-chair of the SAFC, explained that the SAFC does not investigate the specific goals or actions of groups as it allocates funds to different campus organizations.
Instead, the SAFC relies on the Student Activities Office to determine which groups are in “good standing.”
According to the SAO website, organizations are obligated to “operate in a manner consistent with the goals and standards of the [University],” which include a prohibition on denying a person admission to an activity on the basis of sexual orientation.
She said that the SAO and the SAFC may investigate the situation, though she conceded that there was little recent SAFC precedent to follow for handling these circumstances.
“We haven’t had to deal with this issue before,” she said.
Donohoe has a long-standing relationship with the Chi Alpha leadership and the decision to ask him to step down was made over a substantial period of time.
“The leadership of Chi Alpha and Chris have had a relationship and very in-depth now have been grappling with this particular situation, so this was not just an arbitrary sort of circumstance,” Kenneth I. Clarke, Sr., D. Min, Cornell United Religious Work director, said.
After he was asked to step down, Donohoe remained in the organization but sought to create a dialogue with Chi Alpha, to both hold the organization accountable for asking him to step down due to his sexuality and to educate instead of punish.
“There was a consequence for my belief — that it’s OK [to] be a homosexual. … I believe you should be held responsible and accountable to your beliefs so that Chi Alpha is answering to everyone to the community,” Donohoe said.
Donohoe contacted Mary Beth Grant, the judicial administrator, to pursue an outlet. Grant informed Donohoe that no legal action could be taken through the J.A. since Donohoe was permitted to remain in the organization, Donohoe explained. Donohoe filed a bias report a month ago and contacted Dean Hubbell and Rev. Clarke.
Grant could not be reached for comment.
Donohoe met with Hubbell and Clarke to find the best avenue to pursue action, by addressing the issue as it relates to students rights — why outsiders are coming into a student organization and limiting students meeting with the Hermans and/or changing the campus code, Donohoe said.
“Student organizations are supposed to be by and for students. There are systems of having advisors, but they advise, they don’t supervise,” Hubbell said. “The students are the ones who make the final decisions.”
Since Chi Alpha is a part of CURW, the organization is held to a CURW covenant that permits religious organizations to make decisions based on doctrinal convictions, but also prohibits organizations from excluding members based on their sexual orientation.
“Certainly we do not support … discrimination of any sort. On the other hand, what makes this complex is the fact that according to the CURW covenant, organizations may be able to make decisions based on doctrinal convictions,” Clarke said.
Hubbell and Clarke have communicated the University’s position to the Hermans and the next step will be a meeting between all parties involved.
In the meantime, the controversy has spread across various campus listservs, and the Student Assembly will discuss on Thursday a resolution about the future of Chi Alpha.
“It is unfortunate that both a registered student organization and an SAFC-funded organization has mistreated its members and leaders in such an egregious manner. A resolution regarding the group’s current funding and funding eligibility in the future will be discussed at [Thursday’s] Student Assembly meeting,” Ryan Lavin ’09, S.A. president, said yesterday.
A vigil will take place Friday on the Arts Quad outside of Chi Alpha’s meeting.
“This is more than a slap in the face to one individual, this is a slap in the face to the entire LGBT community, especially those of faith,” Donohoe said. “Chi Alpha is basically saying that my sexuality — along with the sexualities of every other LGBT community member — is not legitimate in the eyes of god. Chi Alpha must recognize that this belief is hurtful and discriminatory. It’s time for Chi Alpha to face the Cornell community and own up.”
Homosexuality is considered a sin, which is “biblically based,” according to Jessica Longoria ’09, former president of Chi Alpha.
“If you’re committing sins you will not enter the kingdom of god,” Longoria said.
“My personal belief is that … I don’t believe it is a genetic thing,” D’Ambrosio said.
But despite these beliefs the situation has been difficult for all involved.
“I’m still friends with [Chris], I know a lot of people in Chi Alpha are friends with him. … Just to say that this is a really difficult situation for all of us. … I think we’re all struggling,” Longoria said.
Likewise, D’Ambrosio affirmed Chi Alpha’s relationship with Donohoe.
“I think that a lot of times Christian organizations do get a bad name for taking a stance against homosexuality because it looks like we are condemning a person but I want to make it clear that we have nothing against Chris or another person for choosing to be a homosexual,” D’Ambrosio said.
Matt and Tracy Herman declined to comment for this story until a meeting is held between all parties.

0 thoughts on “Alleged Homophobia Causes Outcry

1. Just so I’m clear, Chris joined a christian organization that believed that homosexuality is a sin. They allowed him to be part of the group with this knowledge and even gave him a leadership position until he decided to embrace his homosexuality. Once he did that, they acted on their long standing convictions and asked him to step down from the leadership position, without kicking him out. So where is the problem? One cannot be an economist without accepting the basic tenets in economics. A religous organization has every right to act on its convictions. He was allowed to join the group (no discrimination here) but not allowed to be a leader because they don’t believe their leader has to be a homosexual. It sounds like it’s more to do with biblical principles than civil liberties. Its ok to join another group other than Chi Alpha rather than make them appear as terrible as this article is written.

2. Tolerance. As long, that is, as you agree with me.

That is the position taken by those railing against Chi Alpha. Chi Alpha is a Christian organization (in this case, affiliated with an internationally recognized denomination). That implies a creed, a code of conduct, and especially high standards for leaders. This is the nature of ANY social group: There are convictions, creeds, practices that are the covenant of participation. So sports team are allowed to impose curfews, Student Democrats can deny a leadership to a College Republican, ethnicly defined associations may constrain leadership positions to those fitting the demographic, and religious organizations may establish creedal and behavioral terms for leadership to be considered “in good standing.”

Mr. Donohoe has chosen to come out and be sexually active. He did that, knowing he was crossing the line of covenant for the group. That is his prerogative. To uphold the standards of group covenant is also the prerogative of the group.

How sad, then, to hear such disturbing pre-judgment across campus: “We are very concerned with what happened and we want to make sure this is a campus that does not discriminate in this way,” (Dean of Students Kent Hubbell). Can the Hermans and Chi Alpha expect a fair hearing when they finally meet with the Dean of Students?!

The question every student has to ask (it’s YOUR Student Affairs Office) is “What does it mean to be a campus community?” Do you really believe in people’s right to assembly and to freedom of religion and conscience? Or only when they agree with you? Should Chi Alpha be able to limit it’s leadership to those who uphold it’s covenant, or should it and every other group on campus be completely neutered (this would include all the LGBT community as well)? Should SA dollars only go to those who “think like us”, even though they are taken by mandate from all? If as a community or nation we cannot respect those who think differently than we do (Mr. Donohoe was never asked to leave the group, just a position of leadership on behalf a covenant he rejected), then we are well on the way to the despotic control of thought and speech of the most repressive regimes known to man.

To suggest the university must control all mind-think on campus is against everything the Academy has ever stood for in history. Funny how “tolerance” can become a synonym for repression.

3. The Cornell administration and the SA have always had only two consistent options for awarding SAFC funding:

1.) Fund basically everyone and accept that some groups will do things you don’t agree with, or
    2.) Fund no one and let many (perhaps most) groups die.

Any sane person would agree that the first option is the better one. To selectively defund certain groups, or to meddle with their policies and leadership would make Cornell’s claims to encourage diversity and dialogue hypocritical.

Groups which engage in hate speech or intimidation obviously have no part in civil discourse, but Chi Alpha was not engaging in either of these practices. They felt their message would be undermined by having this person on their leadership team, and they acted accordingly. The fact that this is an emotional issue does not change the fact that they did not violate university policy.

4. Very well said. there’s no argument in this article. if people want to protest the decision of Chi Alpha, their beef is with the Bible and all other Christian (and most religious) groups on campus. As was stated in the article, Chris wasn’t kicked out of the group, he was just asked to step down from leadership. I’ve seen this happen in other Christian fellowships on campus for various reasons. The article is very biased and I would say, almost anti-Christian when it includes such ridiculous headlines as “Christian Pastors Oust Student Leader Due to His Sexual Orientation.” Didn’t this same article quote a member of Chi Alpha as saying, “The decision to ask Chris to step down was not that he did something wrong in having homosexual tendencies.”

5. Had Chi Alpha kept Donohoe in his ELECTED position, they would have taken the opportunity to send a great message to the Cornell community–that god loves us all equally. However, they ruined that opportunity and instead sent the message to Cornellians that they believe it is acceptable to discriminate.

It boggles my mind how in this day and age, some people still find homophobia acceptable. We all understand that racism is inexcusable, so what makes homophobia okay? Does a gay person have any less right to be a steward of god’s message? Of course not!

Chi Alpha chooses to believe that the bible expressly disapproves of homosexuality. However, they fail to embrace other important tenets the bible gives us, that tell us we all are god’s children and should be loved equally. Why would a god who loves everyone make exceptions? “I love all human beings…except the gays.” Seriously, what century are we living in?!

And to the president of Chi Alpha, Danielle (I’m really disappointed in you by the way; I didn’t realize when I met you that you were an ignorant hatemonger), homosexuality is NOT a choice. Just look at all of those closeted pastors we see in the news, who marry women but have secret lives as gay men that they cannot stop. If nationally-known religious figures who preach against homosexuality could “choose” not to be gay, don’t you think they would? In fact, I’m surprised that as a biologist, you would rebuff something that clearly has a scientific basis; homosexuality IS dictated by genetics.

6. “Mr. Donohoe has chosen to come out and be sexually active”

I highly doubt that you know the details of Chris’ sex life. Even if you do, it is very impolite for you to air that publicly. Chris was not stripped of his leadership position for engaging in sexual activity, but for accepting his orientation.

I recommend that you not speculate about the sexual activities of people you do not know–beyond being incredibly rude and tacky, it’s none of your damned business.

7. Nowhere does it say that he became sexually active. It says he had a boyfriend, and that was what warranted his removal from the leadership team. It wasn’t his sexual activity, it was his acceptance of his own sexuality. They were fine with him battling his own sexuality, and he could be a leader as long as he didn’t accept it and enter into a relationship.

8. “Mr. Donohoe has chosen to come out and be sexually active.”

Nowhere in the article did you read that he became sexually active. Indeed, it’s not a topic that should ever be mentioned in an article. But perhaps you were revealing your own prejudice so common to neo-conservative ideology that being gay is synonymous with being a sex pot. Not that there is anything wrong with being a sex pot, of course. I just wanted to point out that your statement is nowhere supported by the article so you would do well to make sure your arguments are grounded in some semblance of reality.

9. The very framework of your belief treats any sexuality other than heterosexuality as a disorder that should be isolated and held up for public shame. These beliefs are, in fact, tolerated. But you wonder why others don’t tolerate dehumanizing, debasing actions? The line is drawn when personal beliefs turn into an excuse to harm others.

10. you can be gay as long as you’re (at the same time) ashamed of it. the radical right seems bent on creating a generation of schizophrenics and double-thinkers. big brother would be proud.

11. We can look for genetic explanations for all kinds of desires and behaviors. As long as Chi Alpha does not condemn Chris for having the desires, and only restricts him from engaging in the behaviors, they are not discriminating any more than if they would ask a drug addict to step down. “Sexual Orientation” is a term that follows the logic of the term “Drug Addiction Orientation.”

Chi Alpha does not consider themselves the authority on this topic. They are simply obeying their religious authority, the Bible. The Bible’s stance on this matter is clear as air.

If you don’t want to obey these rules of behavior, find a religion that allows these behaviors. Don’t expect Chi Alpha to break their conscience and convictions.

Those who Oppose Chi Alpha on this are discriminating against certain religions. This religious belief is as old as time. You can’t expect something that has been around so long to just be tossed out the window.

12. What if we were to encounter this religious point of view:

“I wholly support the right of this or any student organization who wishes to advance their religious world view. I have personally experienced significant discrimination because my holy texts and personal beliefs affirm that people with blond hair and blue eyes are purer and more loved by my chosen deity than all others. In fact, my chosen deity has charged us (his blue-eyed, blond haired faithful) with the task of making sure the impure influence of those without blue hair and blond eyes remains as minimal in our society as possible. He demands that we, as his faithful followers, do everything within our power to impede the social progress of the non-blue-eyed, blond-haired individuals. I feel a particular sympathy towards this religious organization because, where we at least are able clearly to identify the worthy based on outward appearance, they are not granted the same blessing, and must constantly be plagued with the worry that there are secret homosexuals among their ranks. I support their right, nay, their god-given duty to advance their worldview by any means necessary, including active discrimination of ‘abominations’.”

Freedom of religion does not mean freedom to discriminate. If it did, you could legitimize any racist or sexist point of view, and claim privilege based on it’s status as a religious “belief.” If we as a society want to reduce religion to a label used to defend discrimination, then religion loses its value. To those who wish to protect the status of religion, I say, do not let these people use your belief as a shield for their intolerance. To those who demand a tolerant society, I say, do not let this dialogue end here. We have to reconcile that while any person may freely hold any racist, sexist, or heterosexist intolerant opinion, that does not justify the institutionalization of said intolerance within a University which outright rejects intolerance of any kind. We wouldn’t allow it if it were racism or sexism, why would we allow it for heterosexism?

13. I imagine you’re going to see the worst of both communities, gay and Christian, when all of this pans out. Such a shame.

LGBT supporters will call Christians bigots, Christians will call LGBT supporters moral relativists. No one wins. I’m not sure there’s a constructive end to any of this.

With this in mind, I’m curious as to why Chris is determined to confront Chi Alpha. There are many open and affirming Christian organizations – namely the Episcopal Church – that he could be in community with.

Another option, of course, perhaps one that is more constructive, is to lead an initiative to start a LGBT Faith organization on campus, considering there isn’t one right now. I’d imagine there are a lot of homosexuals having a difficult time reconciling their sexual orientation with their religious beliefs, and rather than trying to join a group that doesn’t hold to like-minded ethical beliefs, why not start your own?

This seems all unnecessarily confrontational to me. Whoever “wins” in the end, it’s all going to be inevitably messy.

14. Imagine person x joins an LGBT organization. Now person x at the time of joining the organization is a very active and proud homosexual. Suppose person x even becomes so involved that he is elected the Vice President of the club.

Now what if he changes his mind? Suppose his bigoted parents send him to one of those brain washing camps where homosexuals are beaten until they become ‘normal’ again. After this experience, person x is so traumatized that he can no longer be a homosexual, and even goes as far as to say that it is a ‘sin’.

Would we view it as discrimination if the LGBT organization asked him to step down from the leadership role he had taken on? No. It is perfectly understandable that he now disagrees with one of the core tenants of the organization. It is even understandable if they ask him to leave the organization all-together, though they need not do so.

If one agrees with such a case, then one must similarly allow Chi Alpha to continue with their decision undisturbed. But if this case seems discriminatory, then perhaps we ought to hold vigils for other sorts of reverse discrimination against Christians as well.

15. A former Miss California, and an ordained minister speaks in defense of homosexuals. I think Chi Alpha should listen to her solid argument!

http://www.psr.edu/news/former-miss-california-defends-same-sex-marriage

“As a pastor and a former Miss California, I am often asked to interpret what the Word of God has to say on a particular subject,” Rev. Lamarche says. “I am quite confident that God prefers that we human beings stick to speaking for ourselves. And yet there are occasions when God’s Word is used as a weapon, and I feel compelled to speak.

“In the past few days, much has been made of the words of Miss California USA, Carrie Prejean. She stated that marriage is between a man and a woman. I write not in response to her opinion, but rather about her comments that followed: that the Bible condones her words. She said, “It’s not about being politically correct, it’s about being biblically correct.” While this sentiment is shared by many who seek to condemn gay people and gay marriage, citing pieces of the Bible to further one’s own prejudice fails to meet the Bible on its own terms.

“Most people seeking to condemn gay people point to the Book of Leviticus, where we read that men lying with men is an abomination. However, we rarely hear of other verses found in the book of Leviticus that are equally challenging. For example, Leviticus also tells us that eating shrimp and lobster is an abomination. And that a person should not wear material woven of two kinds of material—an impossible mandate for a pageant contestant!

“In Paul’s letter to the community in Corinth we read, ‘For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church….’ And yet these words have not prevented Christian denominations from ordaining women, such as myself. Sadly, the Bible has been used to further prejudice throughout history. We have used it to permit ourselves to enslave people; to conquer and kill; and to denigrate the earth.

“The truth is that it is difficult to know for sure the intentions of the biblical authors, but we do know something about God. Those of us who know God through Jesus of Nazareth know that he went to great lengths to express God’s love to people who were labeled as outcasts. He spent time with children, prostitutes, and lepers, all of whom were labeled as outside of the grasp of the Holy. As we continue to seek God’s vision for us as a nation grounded in a love for justice, I pray that we might move closer to the cause of grace.”

16. The fundamental problem is that Biblical views on homosexuality are hateful, ignorant and, science increasingly suggests, without any basis in reality. These “doctrinal convictions” are simply unacceptable under any circumstance and too few people feel the full weight of how socially backwards these beliefs actually are. It is utterly unsurprising that a Christian organization would commit a discriminatory act against a homosexual.

17. Are you a geneticist? What research do you have to support your emphatic claim that “Homosexuality is NOT a choice…homosexuality IS dictated by genetics”? Emphasis or louder volume rarely implies more truth.

And it’s sad that you would take the time to talk about the Chi Alpha president in such a demeaning way. Would you say that to her face?

18. I do not mean to offend anyone by this post, but I feel that people (especially in the university setting) fail to see that there are multiple views in the world. There is nothing wrong with being against homosexuality, that is a person, or a group’s, beliefs, and we should not be angry or punish them for having a particular point of view.

Currently, in the larger US realm, Miss California is being abused by people, like Parez Hilton, for her stance against gay marriage. So, according to us (who feel intellectually superior to people of different views), we can attack an organization for having the view against gays, but we are OK with Miss CA being attacked for her opinions?

Intellectual pluralism should be accepted and promoted at Cornell, as long as no one is being harmed or actively discriminated against. If a particular Christian group feels that homosexuality is a sin, that is for them to decide, and not for us to criticize.

19. One of the only constructive posts on here. Would you please write this in a letter to the Sun so that this can be seen by more eyes on campus? Thank you!

20. I am a member of Southern Baptist Church(Emphasized SOUTHERN BAPTIST) I am also Homosexual. Did my church deny me any rights when this was revealed. No.

What they did do was realize that there are certain things within the bible that cannot be expected to be upheld in today’s society. For example:

We certainly cannot forbid women for working in fear of becoming unclean, because they are on their period. Should all of the female leaders of Chi Alpha be asked to excuse themselves from duty on Sundays of weeks that they are on their period, I believe there would be an outcry for women’s rights.(Leviticus 15:19-24)

We don’t pay workers on a daily basis, unless you wait tables. Most people who are on salaries get paid once a month. Should we put all accountants and corporate heads to death. Again there would probably be an uprising, but Leviticus 19:13 says not to hold back the wages of a hired man overnight.

Should we ban football? I think it could cause another civil war. I know Texas would rebel for sure, but touching the carcass of a dead pig makes one unclean.(Leviticus 11:7)

Polyester-Cotton blends should be banned. As should any other kind of two material blend. Better start going through your closets.(Leviticus 19:19)

I am nearsighted as is much of the technological age of America should we be forbidden to be near the alter of God? I think if we kicked out all people with any kind of defect we would create an uproar in the nation, but Leviticus 21:23 says they shouldn’t be near the altar of god, because they so desecrate his sanctuary.

Have any of the members of Chi Alpha ever done schoolwork on a Sunday (As a Cornell student I know they would be committing more than one sin if the said No.) Because they are abandoning the 10 Commandments. The very foundation of their belief.(Exodus 20:8-11 and Exodus 35:2)

And with that I would like to remind them that while I Corinthians 6:9-11 admonishes homosexuals, it also admonishes slanders, which can often be found in great connection with disgrace. So, as Chi Alpha disgraces Chris (whom I personally know) and all of the LGBT community, I would like to remind them that theirs is not the Kingdom of God, and that God did not pick and choose at his discretion, so I don’t see where they have the right to.

“The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn’t mean that God doesn’t love heterosexuals. It’s just that they need more supervision.”

21. I’m not sure who this minister is, but she’s certainly no Biblical authority. Proper exegesis can explain the expiration of the Levitical laws and the contextual nature of women in church to a more than satisfactory extent. Homosexuality, on the other hand, is hard to justify scripturally, if you want to argue along these lines.

That being said, I don’t think that immediately qualifies all monogamous homosexual relationships as sinful. But in order to justify such behavior, an extrabiblical systematic appeal must be made, and on many levels, has been made. Whether or not it is satisfactory is a matter for the Christian community to decide on, not armchair theologians. Whoever wrote the article above, with all due respect, certainly doesn’t understand biblical or systematic theology from her backside.

22. Being a gay isn’t a choice, an orientation or a lifestyle (ugh). I don’t know how anyone in their right mind could think anyone would “choose” to be gay given the prejudice that exists in our society.

I think it’s pretty rich that people are saying that by calling religious organizations out on their blatant homophobia, we in turn are being discriminatory. You can cite the Bible all you want, but unless you’re willing to support slavery (Matthew 10:24, 24:45-46; Titus 2:9-10, etc. in the New Testament) and the subjugation of women (I Corinthians 11:3-15, 14:24-35; Ephesians 5:22-33, etc.), you can take your hypocrisy and righteousness and shove it.

This isn’t about religious freedom or freedom of speech. This is about you taking a message of love and using it to justify your own prejudices. People have twisted the message of Christianity for 2000 years and I guess it’s no surprise that they continue to.

23. I’m all for intellectual pluralism, but let’s follow what you’re saying to it’s logical conclusion.

I’m white and people of other races make me uncomfortable. It’s not that I hate them, but I believe in social darwinism and some racial groups are simply superior to others (in terms of norms, behavior, lifestyle, etc). There may not be any credible research showing this, but it’s what I feel. I will use this as one of the primary conditions when I’m deciding who to hire as a research assistant. After all, if I’m not comfortable working with him or her, it’s going to impact my productivity.

I also feel that women, generally, are more emotional, less productive and have a lower intellect. They have certain annoying characteristics that I can’t deal with and I don’t want to lower the quality of my education; therefore, I don’t want to take have to take classes with them.

Also, I happen to have a problem with Jews. They killed Jesus after all and are going to hell unless they recant and I hear they are money grubbing and are stealing from me.

In other words: you’ve got to be kidding me. It’s not a “particular point of view.” All ideas are not equal. Homophobia, racism, anti-semitism and sexism are all the same, are all disgusting and have no place at our university.

24. Did you choose to be straight? When?

Also, do you think women are inferior? Slavery ok?

Is there really no cognitive dissonance?

“[Slavery] was established by decree of Almighty God…it is sanctioned in the Bible, in both Testaments, from Genesis to Revelation…it has existed in all ages, has been found among the people of the highest civilization, and in nations of the highest proficiency in the arts.” Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America.

25. Christian groups should be allowed to have rules for their leaders. If there are no rules then anybody, in ANY “sin” can be a leader. If that was the case then they could have people engaging in premarital sex, binge drinking, lying, stealing, committing adultery… and any other “sin” you can think of in the Bible as a leader. That just isn’t right – for them. As a Assemblies of God affiliated group, they have foundational beliefs that living the homosexual lifestyle is wrong, and therefore an openly gay person cannot be a leader. That is their right. I’m sorry if this has hurt Chris. He was never told that he couldn’t come to the group after he was told to step down, just that he could not be a leader. He was not kicked out. If he was kicked out, then… there would be a problem. He even took his boyfriend there for goodness sake. If that isn’t “accepting” I don’t know what is! Nobody treated them any different when they were there attending after he was asked to step down. I’ve heard that another openly gay and Christan man came to the group while the both of them were going and he said that they were not treated in any hateful or mean way in any way. THAT says a LOT.

26. If they believe it’s a sin, that’s they’re choice. And it’s their choice and right to control membership, and we cannot and should not interfere.

But we can criticize the hell out of them. Religion doesn’t give you cover. We must tolerate their views. We just don’t have to accept or respect them.

27. “I also feel that women, generally, are more emotional, less productive and have a lower intellect. They have certain annoying characteristics that I can’t deal with and I don’t want to lower the quality of my education; therefore, I don’t want to take have to take classes with them.

Also, I happen to have a problem with Jews”

Ah. Tell me, have you voiced your opposition to Muslim students and organisations on campus? By your ‘logic’ that’s whare you should be. And hey–you can get on them for THEIR stance on homosexuality as well.

Or do we all feel okay with kicking the Christians(who didn’t even throw the guy out) because they won’t do anything to retailiate?

28. you can’t be a homosexual and a christian at the same time. christians believe in the bible, and the bible says that homosexuality is a mortal sin. so, if chi alpha, a christian organization, feels the need to kick out a gay member, then they have every right to do it, and no one else has the right to stop them. its their religion, their beliefs, and their own actions. if the university decides to step in, then you no longer have the separation of church and state, which violates the constitution. god created man and woman to be with one another, not man to be with man. props to chi alpha for a job well done.

29. homosexuals are biological rejects. to create offspring, a man and woman are needed, not a man and a man. therefore, by CHOOSING (thats right, its a choice!) to be homosexual, you are dooming your species, because you cant produce offspring. so, if you need a man and woman to ensure the survival of a species, that makes the homosexuals rejects.

30. It is so amazing how the persecution of Christians has come about. This should be an article about hate speech towards Christians. This isn’t a group who pickets gay pride parades or any such thing. This is a loving community. Why can’t they believe that some behaviors are wrong? Pluralists are only tolerant of pluralists. Apparently we are free to hold any belief as long as we do not affirm it to be true. In a society where everything is ok, the only sin is calling something sin.

DEATH TO ALL CHRISTIANS!!!! KILL THEM ALL!!!!

Kidding of course, but where does this line of thinking lead us? If we are to persecute Christians for their beliefs, who is next? This young man was not persecuted, discriminated against, hated, or feared.

Homophobia has been now defined to include anyone who thinks that it is wrong. Phobia is supposed to be the fear of something, but now it seems that we must celebrate every idea.

What about conservativphobia… to disagree with those who are conservatives. We shouldn’t allow conservativphobia. We shouldn’t allow anyone to say that being a conservative is wrong.
    What about liberaliphobia…to disagree with those who are liberals. We just can’t have that either.

Right winged fundamentalists!!!! = hate speech.
    Left winged liberal!!!!! = hate speech.

Certainly as a business owner, I should serve liberals and conservatives. I want business. But if I’m a liberal radio host or registered student organization, it doesn’t even make sense for me to want to have an O’Reiley fan as my president! Doesn’t that just make sense? Have you ever disagreed with someone? Should we have men try out for the women’s soccer team cause they feel discriminated against? Would an Islamic group want a Christian as their president or outreach chair?

Can anyone say, “CONFLICT OF INTEREST?”
    ———————————————————————————————————————————
    Homosexuals say that their orientation is such a part of them that they simply cannot deny it. Why aren’t evangelicals afforded the same conviction?
    An evangelical’s conviction is as deeply felt.

31. Since when do homosexuals choose to be gay? I’m quite unaware of this, as I am gay myself. I had spent years trying to “become” attracted to women until I realized how absurd that sounded. I was attracted to my own sex, men, because I was born that way. To all you straight people, never in your life did you choose to be specifically attracted to the opposite sex: it just happened that way. Same goes for homosexuals. They never chose to be attracted to their own sex, but they know nothing else, seeming as they’ve been that way their whole life. Consider the fact that not only does that bible say that a man lying in bed with another man is unlawful and a sin, but the Bible also says the same about pre-marital sex and adultery, but the Christian society rarely sees these as condemnations that may result in a change of plans after death…. People need to reconsider what is going on in this world. We are all different for a reason, now let’s accept it.

32. How could anyone on a college campus “choose” to be an evangelical given the prejudice that exists in our society.

Have you read all of Matthew? Did you study the cultural situation of Corinth? Are you familiar with the gender roles of Ephesus?

The Bible gives advice to those who are already in a culture of slavery to both master and slave. If you read the life of William Wilberforce, you would see a Christian whose passion for Christ and love for humanity drove him to give his life to ending the slave trade in England.

There are answers to the other questions as well, if you would take the time. Unfortunately, it is much easier to drop those quick bombs than take the time to understand a challenging and spiritual book.

33. Christians believe Jesus Christ, out of His great love for us, sacrificed His life for our sins so that we may go to heaven and have eternal life. Christianity is a relationship with Jesus Christ; doing things and living in a way pleasing to Him as a response for what He’s done for you.

Let’s face it, we all know Christians live by a certain set of standards from the bible. So why is it so wrong for Chi Alpha, a specifically Christian organization, to ask someone who doesn’t believe those Christians standards apply to him to step down from leadership?

Leadership dictates the growth and direction of a group. This is why the Hermans asked him to step down.

You can blow it up to be a sexual discrimination case, but it’s really just about a decision that Chi Alpha’s staff workers made about who would best help lead the fellowship grow in faith.

It’s also all about money. Did Chi Alpha break University policy and bylaws? If so, let’s cut the funding and run! Right… all of the 700 dollars that probably didn’t last long considering this group runs programs all year long. Before jumping the gun and using this as a forum to prove or disprove your opinions on homosexuality and the church, just take a moment and think it through.

34. Chi Alpha and christian groups should not get funding because their beliefs are different from what cornell policy is. that way, christian groups can do whatever they feel is right in this situation and not be subject to the condemnation of the cornell community.

35. No surprise here. Religious organizations are inherently discriminatory, and if we’re going to run a campus where we don’t discriminate (which is a good thing) than we shouldn’t fund these kind of organizations. I’m all for people forming organizations for whatever they want, but my tuition would be better spent, cut Chi Alpha from funding.

36. 1. I am of the opinion that Donohoe should step down from the leadership position. He seems to be using unfair means to reach the results he desires (in spite of good intentions), but may not get.

2. Making it an issue of entire LGBT community is wrong.

3. Chi Alpha follows CURW; and CURW covenant that permits religious organizations to make decisions based on doctrinal convictions; which of course get priority over discrimination on sexual orientation.

4. If Chris wants to raise voice for LGBT community, he may do it outside Christianity, as homosexuality debate is not restricted to Christianity, and it would be wrong of anyone to make it so.

5. Chi Alpha should stick to its doctrinal convictions, and the principles on which it is founded, and Mr. Donohoe should obey Chi Alpha — irrespective of anything– like a true leader in Christ.

6. Obedience to the laws of the governing institution is Christian. Else walk off the dust, and quit being a member of such an organization.

37. As the President of MOSAIC for queer and same gender loving People of Color, I can assure you that we and other LGBT student groups do not discriminate against heterosexuals. Our core tenants do not require our members or leadership to identify as LGBTQ. So please do not employ that tactic and suggest that we are as intolerant and discriminatory as Chi Alpha.

Chi Alpha can continue to operate and discriminate however it wants, but it cannot operate as a university organization and still receive funding. The organization has violated Campus Code, the Student Activities Office anti-discrimination policy, and the core values of this university. If they won’t be held accountable for violating those policies, then any organization can openly discriminate.

38. Actually, read some case studies on homosexuality in nature. Many bird species take mates of the same sex, and there are many documented cases of these same-sex pairs adopt lost or abandoned brood clutches. (Google if you don’t believe me!)

I’m infertile, and I assure you I did not choose to be that way. Should I be removed from the Christian community, because I am dooming my species?

39. It’s certainly true that some Christians fought against slavery, just like some fought for it. Both sides were able to find ample justification in scripture.

If you’re asking me if I’ve read the Bible, the answer is yes. I’ll grant you that I’m certainly not a theologian, but neither are 90% of people making “religious” arguments against homosexuality. And I had in fact read (albeit briefly) about William Wilberforce.

My point is that the Bible is nuanced: there are many laws and rules that modern society is unwilling to enforce upon itself. What I don’t understand is the cognitive dissonance. If you believe the Bible not to be the literal word of God and don’t follow it word for word, how can you not at least grant us the possibility that discrimination against homosexuality is just is misplaced as passages seemingly embracing slavery?

40. First of all, not all heterosexuals are capable or interested in having children. Some choose not to have children, while others may have reproductive challenges that are out of their hands. So by your logic, HETEROSEXUAL couples that do not have children are also “biological rejects”, yet you failed to mentioned this.

And, second, shame on you for saying that I, a gay man, made a choice to be gay. I’m so tired of this absurb argument. I did not choose to fall in love with and be attracted to the same sex. IT JUST HAPPENED. If you really wanted to say that I had a choice, there would need to be alternatives for me to consider. But, I don’t have any REALISTIC alternatives. I only have the ability and desire to “be with” men. It’s like my brain came pre-installed with “Gay Microsoft Windows”. I didn’t choose that. And it’s not possible for me to “un-install” my operating system. I am set with Gay Microsoft Windows for life and damn proud and satisfied with it.

Assuming that you are straight, adsf, why don’t you describe when you made the choice to follow the “heterosexual lifestyle” or to install your “Straight Microsoft Windows”. You can’t. It just happened.

Your entitled to your beliefs, but drop the choice nonsense. It’s wrong and belittles my meaningful life experiences.

41. EXACTLY!!!!!

What is wrong with agreeing to disagree?

Chris was not hated, persecuted or discriminated against. He was actually told that he could continue to come to the group. He was not “kicked out”, just asked to step down. He also brought his boyfriend to the group with him. I can’t remember if that was said in this article. They were not treated with hate or persecution during those times.

I can see if someone got in their face and screamed at them for being gay that this would be a problem, but that is NOT what happened. This was done as nicely as it could possibly be done.

Why don’t people see this???

42. “2. Making it an issue of entire LGBT community is wrong.”

How is this wrong? It IS an issue of the entire community. They didn’t force Chris to step down because he is Chris Donohoe (that would be absurd, as Chris is a fun, amazing person), they forced him to step down because he is part of the LGBT community. Therefore, it is an issue for all of us.

Discrimination doesn’t happen in a void. This is part of a larger cultural narrative that makes it okay for religious people to force their ideals on others. If someone wants to be a bigot in their head, fine. But the second their awful, hateful thoughts affect others, that’s where the line should be drawn. To argue that Chi Alpha is a private group is completely worthless once they received university funding. Chi Alpha, and all other Cornell-funded groups, need to abide by university discrimination policy. If they want to run their little bigot club, they can do it on their own dime.

43. This young man is making a choice that is counter to Biblical teaching, and it would not make a difference if he had said, “I’m moving in with my girlfriend” or “I’m throwing a kegger” or “I believe in God, but I don’t believe the Bible”, all of these would provide similar cause to ask the young man to step down.

44. You’d really let someone lead your group who actively disagreed with your core philosophy? Not just someone who was hetero, but who went around saying that gays would burn and should repent? You’d let someone like that lead your group? I find that difficult to believe.

45. How uneducated are you? It’s bigots like you that remove the love and compassion in the world. Sexual orientation is not a choice, it’s engrained in the biology of the brain, so deep that science is just beginning to understand it. However, if you’d like proof do some reading: http://www.pnas.org/content/89/15/7199.abstract

Keith Olbermann was right to question religeous motives for voting on prop 8 “The world is barren enough… with so much hate in the world, so much meaningless division… this is what your religion tells you to do?… this is what your heart tells you to do?… You are asked to stand now on a question of love.” This young man loves his religion and loves another person. Who is anyone to challenge this?!?! It’s wrong and sinful. He should be allowed to continue his work, and this organization (and now other with any religious connections) should be given compensation from a school that prides it’s self on a policy of “open doors, open hearts, and open minds”

46. This is a fire safety issue for Chi Alpha:

Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.
    Jude 1:7 (King James Version)

47. Your point is well made.

Reading, “After Donohoe finished his term as vice president, he was going to be on the leadership team last fall. The Hermans told Donohoe that they were comfortable with his position as long as he did not engage in a relationship. However, after Donohoe met his boyfriend last summer and affirmed his acceptance of his sexuality, the Hermans asked him to step down from the team without consulting the rest of the organization.”

Between that and the previous paragraph outlining conduct terms for organizational leadership, I inferred (incorrectly)that the relationship had been taken to a level not explicitly stated in the report. My apologies to all of you and Chris.

Will the broader failings of due process toward Chi Alpha be redressed as well?

48. No one said the kid couldn’t still participate. But if he is going against the direction of their conviction, he can’t be in leadership in the group. Chi Alpha is a Christian group. This little guy is disregarding the Bible. Guess what… you’re fired!

49. Religious groups are incredibly powerful and often, part of being a member of a religion or religious group is donating money to it. Discrimination against a powerful and money-hungry institution is hardly discrimination at all. Discrimination against a marginalized group is markedly different. How anyone cannot understand the difference is beyond me.

It is not possible to “oppress” Christianity in America at this point in time. Oppression or discrimination is something that is done by groups in power (in this case, Christians) to some group that has less systemic power (LGBT community). To say that the LGBT community could oppress Christianity is ludicrous. We simply lack the power and influence to do so. Christianity, on the other hand, spreads its nasty, hateful influence into politics and the personal lives of non-Christians on a daily basis.

50. You don’t need to be a geneticist to understand that nobody chooses their sexuality. It’s common sense. When did you wake up and decide to be straight? Did you consider all of your options before coming to terms with your straight sexuality? If you are not straight, how did you come to that conclusion? When you had your first kiss or your first date, did you have to decide, “okay, this is it, I’m now entering into my social label of straightness”? If sexuality is, indeed, a choice, do you reevaluate your decision on a regular basis? Do you need to have a mental check-in to see if you’re straight? I’m guessing not. I’m guessing that your orientation was just obvious to you from an early age. If you’re straight, you have the privilege of not being questioned on your sexuality and not being denied civil rights because of it. Don’t take that for granted.

51. Chi Alpha did not remove Donahoe from his ELECTED position. that was his title of Vice President. they removed him from his appointed position, which was appointed by the Chi Alpha staff, as a bible study leader. just wanted to clarify.

52. We all know that science attempts to prove whatever the specific scientist, or “group” of scientists happen to believe in at that particular moment. Homosexuals CANNOT reproduce if they stick to their partner of choice. Who gives a crap what someone believes? The truth of the matter is that it takes a human male and human female to produce a human offspring. The truth will set you free……

53. Again, that’s a stupid question to ask. The answer is yes, physically. As far as slavery goes, what are you getting paid to do your job? Unless you own your own company and are making the rules, you’re a slave to some degree, but then again, you probably can’t comprehend that aspect of the working relationship….

54. I would surmise that this young man’s agenda is evolving exactly the way he planned from the first.

But honestly, if you were to remove the hot social impact of this case and substitute something slightly less socially critical, what you’d have is an example more like this:

A group of vegetarians believe that eating meat is wrong, as it involves killing. They accept into their midst a student who says he believes that eating meat is wrong but admits he is still drawn to it. They welcome him in, with the understanding that he will refrain from eating meat. He abstains from eating meat for long enough to get into the leadership of the group, then he does an abrupt about-face. He decides to embrace carnivorous leanings, become an “out and proud” meat-eater, and expects to remain in leadership of a vegetarian group. And they DO NOT throw him out of the group, but merely ask him to step down from leadership — he’s still welcome to attend the group, but they don’t want someone who disagrees with them on an important issue to have a position where he’s a spokesman and leader for the group — he accuses them of discrimination and hate, and rallies the whole campus in his favor.

Meanwhile, the vegetarians just want to BE vegetarians and be left alone. It’s not like they threw stones at the meat-eater, and they even welcomed him to continue his membership, just not his leadership.

There are plenty of other groups he could join where his meat-eating wouldn’t even raise an eyebrow, much less be an important issue, but he wants to stay in THIS group, doggone it, no matter what he promised them at the beginning. He sounds like a spoiled three-year-old.

How many people would be holding candlelight vigils and castigating the vegetarians for not wanting to have a meat-eater held up in leadership as an example for them to follow?

The belief that homosexuality is a sin deserves just as much respect as the belief that eating meat is a sin, but because it’s such a social hot button right now, it doesn’t get the same respect. It is, however, the same general principle.

What this young man did is simple bait-and-switch. Nothing more.

55. I wish I could articulate this better, here’s my best shot though. Clearly when you run an organization you need leaders that share a common ideal. You wouldn’t have someone who is an alcoholic and sees no problem with being an alcoholic and continues to drink on a regular basis be a leader in Alcoholics Anonymous for example, that would create disunity, would be hypocritical, and wouldn’t make much sense. In the same way a religious organization, even a religion other than Christianity or one of the other denominations of Christianity should choose leadership that agrees with their ideals. How is this hateful? It’s simply a sensible way of leading a group or organization. If I was running a group campaigning against the death penalty I would want to hire people, especially leaders, that disagree with the death penalty. Wouldn’t do me any good to hire someone who supports it, right?

Clearly, Chi Alpha is being very accepting and open to all people by allowing him to attend the same way AA would allow an admitted and unrepentant alcoholic to attend. However, you don’t put someone who disagrees with you on such a strong point in a leadership position. This is not hateful and it’s not hateful to think that homosexuality is wrong. Let’s be clear, people who hold up signs that say “God hates f*gs” are hateful and myself and I’m confident any member of Chi Alpha would tell you how wrong these people are. Clearly they haven’t read their Bible well, “For God so LOVED the world He gave his only begotten son that whosoever believes in him will not perish but have everlasting life” John 3:16. However, all people make judgements and determine some things are right and some are wrong, otherwise we would have no laws. Chi Alpha has done nothing wrong and handled this situation well. How is it that in America today that our freedom of speech is being threatened to the point that simply to state your own opinion in a reasonable and loving way suddenly makes you a target for insults and threats and gets you labeled “hateful”, “bigoted”, and “homophobic”?

56. Which is worse being an “ignorant hatemonger” or being an ignorant hatemonger and a coward? it is pretty easy to sling your hate while hiding behind your computer screen.
    Funny how you are disappointed with Danielle while her mother and I are extremely proud of her. is it possible that you don’t know her very well? or does that even matter to you?
    Chris has been to our house, had dinner with us and even stayed over a couple of nights. He was welcome then and is still welcome here today.
    There is no homophobia here, just biblical conviction. we acknowledge that we are all sinners and “fall short of the glory of God”. We believe that through Jesus Christ’s death and resurrection and by our repentance we can be forgiven of our sins. Chris has chosen to deny the biblical teaching that homosexuality is a sin, he has every right to do that, but in doing so he disqualifies himself from leadership and teaching in an organization that upholds the Bible as the absolute authority on truth. He was never asked to leave XA just the leadership.
    as far as genetics goes, there was a study by Dean Hamer of the National Cancer Institute that “claimed to have founda genetic component to some instances of male homosexuality” the findings of that study never could be reproduced. a number of other studies have been done but to date none have been conclusive. I hate to confuse you with the facts,but maybe you should do a little research before you form your opinion.
    and by the way, you are also welcome to dinner at our home.

57. Way to take it too far. This argument would only be valid if Chi Alpha made Chris step down because he was going around telling people that Christians suck, which was not the case at all. Chris is gay, but he’s also (from what I know) a good Christian, which is why this is an issue. He has done nothing wrong except, in the eyes of the group, come out and accept his sexuality. If the above poster said that she wouldn’t let a heterosexual person lead the group despite being fully supportive of gays, then you could pretend to be clever and smart when arguing back.

58. The SBC’s stance on homosexuality is very Biblically accurate unlike your comments seem to suggest otherwise. It is as follows:

“We affirm God’s plan for marriage and sexual intimacy – one man, and one woman, for life. Homosexuality is not a ‘valid alternative lifestyle.’ The Bible condemns it as sin. It is not, however, unforgivable sin. The same redemption available to all sinners is available to homosexuals. They, too, may become new creations in Christ.” (http://www.sbc.net/aboutus/pssexuality.asp)

Your examples given are flawed and reveal you lack some understanding of the Old Testament and how it pertains to the church as well as basic theology. Prime example is your 10 commandment reference; Sabbath is not Sunday, it is Saturday. Additionally the Sabbath was given to the nation of Israel (Exodus 31:16, Leviticus 24:8, 25:2, Deut 5:15 etc) not Christians evidenced by no reference to it in the New Testament except to say you do not have to keep it (Col 2:16). It would be unwise to try and battle the subject matter of whether or not homosexuality it is acceptable to God in the current day based on Old Testament scriptures taken out of context, especially when Revelations 21:8 (speaking of days still to come) addresses the of the future residency for people of this particular persuasion (fornicators, which means people who engage in sex outside of wedlock which is reserved for man and woman according to Jesus which homosexuals are included in.)

Now the issue concerning this young man is not as big of a deal as many of Christian brothers/sisters are making it. The school has a policy; the organization accepts money from the school and therefore is subject to its policies. The school thinks the organization is breaking their policy and has the right to take away funding. There is nothing wrong with that. What would be wrong is if the organization wavers on its stance just to maintain the funding.

For Christians to be baited into a discussion concerning our Biblical convictions and whether or not these convictions are right or wrong; especially as it pertains to a subject such as homosexuality (and other counter culture subjects) is time wasting and not fruitful, as the non-believing populace bucks against the Bible, the Church and Jesus Christ himself. So they cannot be expected to understand or accept God’s view point on these matters as the Bible declares in 1 Corinthians 2:14.

They believe that the Bible is old fashioned and out dated as it pertains to subject matters such as this. They feel they are more enlightened and progressive in their world view because they accept homosexuality (and certain other sins). The problem with that thought process is it is not progressive not enlightened. It is very much ingrained into the nature of man as recorded in the history of our most dominant cultures. It is older than 1 Corinthians 6:9, older than Leviticus 18:22. It has always been around, and at the same time it has always been a problem with the only living and true God.

The organizations response to this situation should be a simple as the black and white nature of the controversy; don’t accept the schools money, continue to govern your organization the way you see fit in accordance to your Biblical convictions. And lastly, continue to be a light inside a dark world, obviously your work is needed.

59. Several Chi Alpha members, including Chris, spent time with us at our home during the summer of 2007 and 2008. I witnessed the strong bonds of friendship, love and respect that they have for one another. I saw love.

60. If any of you biblically illiterate types out there are concerned about whether God wants Christians to judge those within local fellowships (which is what has occured in this case) God has made it very clear that we are to judge.

Jesus commanded:

John 7:24 “Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.”

Paul, inspired by the Holy Spirit, wrote:

1 Corinthians 5:1-11 1 Corinthians 5:1 It is actually reported [that there is] sexual immorality among you, and such sexual immorality as is not even named among the Gentiles — that a man has his father’s wife! 2 And you are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he who has done this deed might be taken away from among you. 3 For I indeed, as absent in body but present in spirit, have already judged (as though I were present) him who has so done this deed. 4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when you are gathered together, along with my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5 deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. 6 Your glorying [is] not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump? 7 Therefore purge out the old leaven, that you may be a new lump, since you truly are unleavened. For indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us. 8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened [bread] of sincerity and truth. 9 I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people. 10 Yet [I] certainly [did] not [mean] with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner — not even to eat with such a person.

1 Corinthians 6:2-5 Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world will be judged by you, are you unworthy to judge the smallest matters? 3 Do you not know that we shall judge angels? How much more, things that pertain to this life? 4 If then you have judgments concerning things pertaining to this life, do you appoint those who are least esteemed by the church to judge? 5 I say this to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you, not even one, who will be able to judge between his brethren?

61. As a Christian, I was a little taken aback by the comment Jessica Longoria said: “If you’re committing sins you will not enter the kingdom of god.” This is true, but that is why God renews his graces daily through the sacrifice of his son Jesus Christ.

Accepting one’s sexual orientation is no sin. Not one that I can find in the Bible anyway. There is certainly a great debate regarding if acting on these gay feelings is right before God or not, but in my opinion, this is between the individual and God. http://www.gaychristian.net/greatdebate.php?

If this student was good enough to be in leadership, he should remain in leadership.

62. I’m sorry, but being a “good” member of a certain organization should imply accepting their beliefs
    Thus, being a “Good Christian” should imply treating homosexuality as a sin.

63. That was exactly the passage I was going to post.

If anything, Chi Alpha is being lenient. The Bible clearly says that the Church should NOT accept any homosexuals who are tolerant of their homosexuality. This goes not only to homosexuals, but to drunkards, extortioners, etc.
    It is also pretty clear and literal about it, leaving no room for “other interpretations”

64. this situation is very surprising; I would imagine people would be a bit more tolerant about a person’s sexuality, or at least be aware of the consequences if they discriminate against homosexuals. While it’s understandable – I remember there is a line in the bible that condemns homosexuality – but still, Chris is a human being – a valued member of the group – and should be treated as such. Also, I can’t believe the president could say that homosexuals won’t enter heaven and still say she’s friends with Chris. Anyways, it’s really sad that this happens and I hope it works out for Chris.

65. Nobody chooses to be a kleptomaniac, a rapist, or a murderer, they are born that way, most can’t stop, even if they want to. Compulsive liars are the same. Some even admit it is wrong and continue to steal, rape, murder, and cheat, because they are unable to stop. And some steal, rape, murder, and cheat, thinking it is OK. But it IS all in the genes. Banks need to do genetic testing of employees to determine if one is a thief, and Christian organizations need to do DNA screening for gays, and daycare centers need to screen for child molesters (heterosexual and homosexual). The price of DNA testing would surely drop if more people used it.

66. I just wonder what is your definition of a good christian? Should we base it off the Baptist, Protestant,Mormon, or Catholic faiths. What one would be a good choice?

We can use the United Church of Christ as an example. This church does not condemn and many even support full marriage equality. So in their eyes Donohoe is a good Christian.

How about the Mormons? Up until 1970 they thought that African-Americans were cursed with the “Mark of Cain” and actively through RACIST polices denied them priesthood. So by your own argument you would have supported the RACIST policies of the Mormon Church in the 1970’s.

Furthermore, the club uses student funds. I DO NOT pay 45,000 a year in law school tuition to have those funds used against me.

Maybe even some racist students should petition Student Services to start a chapter of the KKK.

67. Let’s just remove any all religious background from this discussion. If Darwin were alive today, he’d say that gays and lesbians are a failed part of the species because of their inability to procreate with one another. According to the evolution theory, it’s instinct and drive to survive the species by procreation. There is only pure sexual satisfaction when it comes to gays and lesbians; it’s an unnatural selection for survival of the species. I applaud the decision of this organization. You cannot have someone in a leadership position that does not agree with the core beliefs of the organization.

68. Your analogy fails to fully encompass and illustrate this situation in the sense that vegetarians hold one major belief and purport that one single action is a “sin”: eating meat. Yes, of course vegetarians would not be happy to have a meat-eating leader; this leader would effectively deny EVERYTHING for which vegetarians stand.

But when it comes to Christianity, it is not accurate to say that leading a homosexual lifestyle denies everything that Christians believe in. Do Christians not also believe that several other acts are sinful? Cheating, lying, stealing, murdering, etc. – doesn’t the Bible say that all these acts and a myriad of others are wrong? On top of that, doesn’t the Bible also say that everyone is a sinner, and it’s impossible for anyone to be perfect and sinless? So..shouldn’t all of Chi Alpha’s leaders be sinners, according to the Bible? Of course, it would be impossible and impractical for Chi Alpha to attempt to find a perfect, sinless leader and I’m not suggesting that they should engage in this endeavor. It just seems a bit hypocritical that they should use the defense “the Bible says x is a sin, so this person can’t be a leader because he committed sin x” when other Biblical logic effectively destroys that argument. Of course, I’m sure a lot of Christians would say to this that it’s different for Chris because he is actively embracing his “sin.” Well, if that’s so, what does that say about all the other Christians who sin regularly (as the Bible says everyone does) and are not being removed from their leadership positions because they do not come right out and say it? The difference is that Chris relies on his “sin” for happiness and that it must be practiced openly – while those other sins common to all of us – lying, stealing, cheating – are generally much more secretive acts. So basically, the Chi Alpha leaders are people who, according to the Bible, sin like everyone but can keep their positions because they don’t come right out and confess their sins as Chris did. Hurrah, Christian logic. It kind of amazes me that Christians can acknowledge in the same breath that everyone sins on a regular basis and that Chris Donohoe needs to be dismissed from his position for being a sinner.

Oh, and what Chris did was no an about-face; in the article, his struggle to reconcile his belief system and his sexuality is mentioned several times.

69. Good Lord!This group doesn’t want you.Don’t go away mad or offended,just go away.What are you fighting for?So you can go back to a group of people who don’t want anything to do with you.Gay isn’t the problem here,acting like a 7 year old is.Get lost.Go to toys R us and buy yourself a Wheres Waldo,curl up in a corner and try not to cry while your trying to find Waldo.A lot of times when you fight for something you believe in your really fighting to make a crybaby happy.