Cornell Recertified As A Division I Program

The National Collegiate Athletics Association recertified Cornell as a Division I school yesterday. Recertifications for Division I schools occur every ten years. Though the NCAA only pertains to athletics, recertification requires analysis of the University as a whole, including its administration, governance and equity.
Cornell was found not to have any particular issues of concern. The committee analyzed Cornell’s commitment to rules compliance, academic integrity and the promotion of equity and athlete welfare.
“We would want to applaud the Athletics department coaches and staff, who manage a very complex set of NCAA compliance standards,” said Mary George Opperman, Cornell vice president for human resources.
In the athletics department, coaches and administrators have been working hard to confine to all the rules set forth by recertification.
“Our entire Department of Athletics and Physical Education works diligently throughout the year to administer a competitive program within the parameters set by the NCAA and the Ivy League,” said Andrew Noel, Cornell director of athletics.
Former NCAA executive director and Cornell athletic director Richard D. Schultz initiated the certification process in 1989. The program now includes all Division I schools on a rolling 10 year basis. Cornell will be up for recertification again in 2019.