The Sun Selects Top 25 Senior Athletes from the Class of 2009

Garrett Huyler
A Heps champion, Huyler holds school records in both the indoor and outdoor high jump; his personal best (2.20m) puts him at No. 9 all-time among Ivy League athletes and was one centimeter away from qualifying him for Olympic Trials. Huyler has cleared 7-0 over 25 times in his career.

Ariana Constant
The team captain, Constant led the women’s polo team to an undefeated regular season and a No. 2 finish in the country; her 77 goals puts her at No. 2 on the team in scoring.

Scott Hardinger
Entering play this weekend, leadoff hitter Hardinger is ranked first all-time in career assists at Cornell with 458. As a sophomore he was second-team All-Ivy League, and currently boasts a .308 batting average –– his best in four years at Cornell –– with 40 hits (No. 3 on the team).

Jessy Berkey
One of four seniors on the softball team, Berkey’s offensive power surge this season has helped aid the Red to the Ivy League Championship series against Dartmouth. Heading into this weekend, Berkey is batting .388 with a team-leading 12 home runs and is No. 3 on the team in RBIs with 41.

Jesse Baker
Baker was the football team’s top receiving threat in 2008. He racked up 725 receiving yards and six touchdowns, both team-highs. He also averaged 6.6 receptions per game, good for second in the Ivy League.

Graham Rihn
Rihn was named team MVP for his leadership on and off the field and his stalwart defensive presence come gametime. Rihn accumulated 122 tackles in his career, 58 in 2008, and showed a knack for the big play with three blocked kicks this season.

Stacey Ohara
Ohara became the Red’s first USAG national champion after posting a top score of 9.850 on the balance beam at the individual championships in mid-April. Ohara’s individual title came just one day after she helped the gymnastics team to its first USAG national team title, the first title won by a non-scholarship program.

Stefan Brabeck
Brabeck stepped confidently into a leadership role when captain Mike Gavalas was injured. He is a three-year member of the varsity-8 crew and helped the team to IRA national titles in 2007 and 2008.

Evan Barlow
Barlow cemented his place in Cornell hockey lore with his late-game heroics all season. He scored a career-high 27 points in 2008-09 and tallied six game-winning goals, including the game-winner against Northeastern in the NCAA Midwest Regional Semifinals.

Tyler Mugford

Mugford never put up eye-popping numbers on the ice, but he was one of the team’s most important players nonetheless. The fan favorite at Lynah Rink provided a physical presence on the penalty kill and checking lines and was named the Best Defensive Forward by ECAC Hockey in 2008-09.

John Glynn

An extremely talented all-around offensive player, Glynn continued to be a force at the face-off X for the Red in 2009. He posted a face-off win percentage of 62.7 in 2009, good for No. 3 in Division I, and picked up 6.82 ground balls per game, No. 4 in Division I.

Max Seibald

The captain of the men’s lacrosse team, Seibald is one of the best players to wear a Cornell uniform. His physical presence on the field and lacrosse talent combine to make him one of the most respected midfielders in the country.

Joe Yonga

One of the team’s tri-captains, Yonga scored the game-winning goal in the Red’s only win in 2008. He also had his best season in the 2008 campaign, posting five points off two goals and an assist.

Jeomi Maduka

Maduka was named the Sun’s Athlete of the Year last year for her dominant performances on the basketball court and for the track team. In her senior year, the five-time All-American focused solely on track with impressive results — at the NCAA National Championships in her home state of Texas, Maduka was runner-up in the long jump and placed sixth in the triple jump.

Zac Dentes
An Ithaca native, the three-sport IHS veteran was also a two-time All-CSFL performer. His appearance on the league made waves with his top numbers in both passing and total offense in 2006 and 2007. As a junior, Dentes had 141 total rushing yards and 891 passing yards, for 67-of-113.

Jimmy Wyner

Wyner will undoubtedly go down as one of the most versatile runners in Cornell history. Wyner has been a general force in the conference records, a precedent he set in his freshman year. He owns three individual records for the Red and three team records.

Hilary Holland

The captain of the volleyball team her senior year, Holland, had been a consistent spark plug for the Red ever since she was drafted by then-head coach Deitre Collins-Parker. As a sophomore, Holland worked her way up to starter, and as a junior, the setter set the Cornell record for assists against Harvard. Her triple-double count is impressive, as is the rest of her record.

Steve Anceravage

A perennial champion at 174 pounds, Anceracage has always embodied the heart of a champion. His hard work has been heralded by both his teammates and coach alike, and his stellar EIWA and NCAA records atones to his impressive success.

Jordan Leen

Leen epitomizes the meaning of the word successes. As a junior, Leen worked hard to come back from behind and claim the national title at 157 pounds. Leen has won almost every single award imaginable in terms of the EIWA’s, All-Ivy’s and NCAA’s. Leen has always been a gentleman and an athlete. We at The Sun know no higher praise.

Belen Martinez

Belen Martinez not only was one of the driving offensive forces for field hockey this season, she also lead a young team to a victorious season. Martinez was an All-Ivy First Team pick, and also led the Red to a 6-1 Ivy League record, and a 11-5 record overall. Martinez posted a .600 shots on goal percentage.

Wes Newman pushed Cornell Swimming to new heights in his four years with the Red. Newman not only came out in full force at this year’s ECAC championships, but also was able to produce huge swims during the season. Newman also qualified for the NCAA championships and led the Red to third at ECAC championships.

Maria Matos

Maria Matos is one of the best throwers that Cornell Track and Field has ever seen. Matos took the top awards at the Outdoor Heps in Pennsylvania in the discus throw for 2008. Matos came in second at the Indoor Heps.

Shannan Scarselletta

Shannan Scarselletta pushed women’s basketball to an Ivy Championship and a NCAA Championship bid in the 2007-2008 season. Scarselletta, who is also a Sun columnist, was one of the driving forces behind the Red’s rise to the top of the Ivy rankings. Scarselleta averaged 30.6 minutes per game and 11.4 points per game, leading the team in both categories.

Jessica Wiegand

Co-Captain Jessica Wiegand has been integral to women’s lacrosse over the years. Wiegand posted 25 points this season, helping the Red to a 9-5 record. Wiegand posted a .295 shot percentage this season. Wiegand also was an important piece of the Red’s 5-2 run in the Ivy League last year.

Dana Kendrick

A two-year captain, Dana was the first rider in Cornell history to win the Zone II Cacchione Cup –– a feat she accomplished as a freshman. Since then, she has led the equestrian team to the Ivy League Championship and has qualified for Zone Finals all four years. Dana has two Academic All-Ivy selections under her belt, and according to head coach Chris Mitchell has a “wonderful talent with the horses and with people as well … she will be missed by all who knew her at Cornell.”