AAP Taps Richter as New Architecture Chair

After a professorship of 20 years at the University of California-Los Angeles, Dagmar Richter, a globally renown architect, has been announced as the new chair of the Department of Architecture in the University’s College of Architecture, Art and Planning. Richter will officially replace interim chair Mark Cruvellier on July 1 and Cruvellier will remain in the college as a professor.

Richter was educated in Europe at the University of Stuttgart and the Royal Art Academy in Copenhagen and has taught both in America and in Europe at the Harvard University Graduate School of Design, Rhode Island School of Design, Cooper Union, Columbia University and the Art Academy in Berlin and in Stuttgart.

“Dagmar is an architect and teacher of the highest distinction. She brings strong leadership, a cooperative spirit, a great deal of energy and a progressive vision to the department,” Kent Kleinman, the Gale and Ira Drukier Dean of AAP, stated in an e-mail addressed to the AAP community.

In addition to publishing two books, including XYZ: The Architecture of Dagmar Richter, Richter has won several international competitions for design and architecture according to contractworld.com.

Kleinman stated that he hopes Richter’s background, experience and reputation will help AAP maintain its traditional level of excellence in a time of transition in the field of architecture. According to the University, Richter has studios in Los Angeles and Berlin focusing on DR_D, a non-standard style of architecture, in which she uses a research approach to rethink architectural design in the current fast-paced culture and global economy.