Cornell Can't Hang On as Syracuse Mounts Comeback For the Ages

[SIDEBAR]
Cornell had the lead from beginning to end until Syracuse senior attackman Kenny Nims scored at the end of a circus play with four seconds remaining in regulation to tie the game at 9. The Red was attempting a clear but the Syracuse ride forced the turnover and several looping passes later, Nims fired a low shot past Cornell senior goalie Jake Myers from point-blank range to force overtime.
Cornell won the face-off in overtime but a quick turnover led to a goal by Syracuse’s Cody Jamieson, who was academically ineligible for most of the season but made a huge impact in his few games with the team. Jamieson’s goal handed Syracuse the 10-9 overtime win.
Cornell held a three-goal lead late in the fourth quarter, but the fast pace of the game wore down the Red’s defenders, who were late on slides and double-teams as Syracuse was mounting its comeback.
Senior midfielder John Glynn was a one-man force in the first half for Cornell. He scored two goals and two assists to help the Red to a 6-4 lead at halftime. The teams were about even in possession time in the first half, but Cornell continued to play shifting team defense to neutralize Syracuse’s weapons on offense. Still, the Orange was able to push the game faster than Cornell’s ideal pace, and the pace it played in wins over Princeton and Virginia.
“Syracuse forced us into some dodging situations that we did not want to be in,” said head coach Jeff Tambroni.
Freshman attackman Rob Pannell rolled around the cage and fired a shot past Syracuse goalie John Galloway to put the Red up 5-4, but Syracuse’s physical close defense has gotten the best of the Red attack for the most part. Pannell and Hurley each have a goal, but the Red’s midfielders have accounted for the other four.
After Pannell’s goal, Seibald scored on a rocket from long range just as a man-up opportunity expired.
A goal by Syracuse’s Chris Daniello, to cut the Red’s lead to 2-1, showed the Orange’s scoring proficiency in unsettled situations. After senior goalie Jake Myers couldn’t control the rebound on a save, Daniello grabbed the ground ball behind the cage and found the back of the net on a low shot.
Check back later for a full recap of today’s championship game.