Olin Hall Closes Due to Flooding

Yesterday marked the beginning of a new academic year, but not everybody’s first day of classes went as smoothly as planned, or as dry.
“Significant flooding” occurred in parts of Olin Hall yesterday morning, causing a flurry of class relocations. At least 12 notices were posted on the closed doors of the building, notifying students of moved or cancelled classes.
The flooding was due to a failed water line in the northwest corner of the building, according to an e-mail the University Special Conditions sent out at noon yesterday.
Some students found out about the class rearrangements via e-mails, while others found themselves at the footsteps of a closed building. According to Simeon Moss, deputy university spokesperson, an e-mail was sent to those who subscribed to the University’s Special Conditions listserve. All building coordinators received information, while the news was also passed down to people working or studying in Olin Hall. 
Clean-up and repairs crew arrived on scene to mitigate the damage. As of 2:30 p.m. yesterday, a long hose connected to a water truck continued to drain water out of the building. Red and yellow tapes blocked the hall’s entrances.[img_assist|nid=37676|title=First day of classes … not|desc=Notices posted on Olin Hall’s entrance notify students of room arrangements or class cancellations.|link=node|align=left|width=336|height=504]
Normal operations are expected today, according to a University e-mail sent just before 6 p.m. yesterday. 
At the time of the last e-mail, the building’s second and third floor lighting circuits remained off. The floors were therefore closed last night and were expected to reopen at approximately 6:30 a.m. today.