Rooker ’10 Runs For City Council

Each year, thousands of Cornellians embark from Ithaca, intent on improving the world we live in. Edward Rooker ’10 is hoping to do so while he is still here by running for Alderperson of the fourth ward on the Common Council.
“Collegetown contains the most expensive properties in Ithaca and generates a huge portion of the city’s tax revenue,” Rooker said. “I want to work to make sure that my ward gets the services it deserves.”
Rooker, a senior in the School of Industrial and Labor Relations, has maintained a presence as a liaison for Cornell students in Ithaca. He served as the vice president of University and Community Relations for the interfraternity council and holds seats on the Collegetown Neighborhood Council and the University Neighborhood Council. In addition, Rooker is currently the president of the IFC, helping to organize Into The Streets, Greeks Go Green and other socially conscious programs in the Greek community.
“After hearing that a seat had opened up, I knew that I had an opportunity to make a real difference in the Ithaca Community,” Rooker said. “I understand the issues that are important to the residents of Collegetown and I can help bring a younger perspective to the Council”
The Ithaca Common Council consists of the Mayor and two Alderpeople from each of Ithaca’s five wards, elected to staggered four year terms. Svante Myrick ’09 and Nancy B. Schuler are currently representing the fourth ward, which is comprised of West Campus, Cascadilla Park and the portion of Collegetown east of College Avenue.
“With the advent of the Collegetown redevelopment plan, I hope to use my seat to encourage new business investment, improve environmental sustainability of the dilapidated housing and push for higher density development,” Rooker said.
In addition to his ideas for Collegetown, Rooker also hopes to improve the quality of life for all residents of the City of Ithaca
“If elected, I would push for the advancement of a living wage and the creation of new jobs, new environmental initiatives and an increase in funding for social programs, especially those aimed at Ithaca’s youth,” Rooker said. “I will fight to ensure that we are getting the most out of our tax dollars and that the quality of life for both permanent residents and students are a priority.”
Rooker is running as the Democratic Party candidate. Since no one else has registered to contest him, Rooker is running unopposed in his race in the Nov. 3 election.