Local Music Update

The Dangerous Maybes at
The Nines

311 College Ave.

Tonight: The Dangerous Maybes, a band from Binghamton, whose feisty indie sound is shockingly good, will be playing at the Nines in Collegetown. Why haven’t you heard of these guys yet? Check out local talent at a local venue — The Dangerous Maybe’s vocalist frontman Sean Cummings has a swooning voice reminiscent of Ted Leo as well as more vintage talents like Nick Drake. Find their music online at http://www.myspace.com/thedangerousmaybes. Cover is $5 and the band goes on at 10 p.m.

J-San and the Analogue Sons at
Castaway’s

413 Taughannock Blvd.

Friday: J-San and the Analogue Sons will go on at 9 p.m. Self-proclaimed creators of “dub-soul-sounds,” these guys seem to span a variety of genres — soul, rock and electro. J-San and co. will be followed by locally loved band The Buddhi, whose funk and jazz lures local and collegiate crowds at many different Ithaca venues. Cover is $8.

The Coots at The Haunt
702 Willow Ave.

Friday: The Coots — a “swamp rock” band whose music leans towards “House of the Rising Sun” and Clapton covers, will be playing a free happy hour from 7 p.m. – 9 p.m. at this music joint down by the water. Swing by en route to Castaway’s as — The Haunt is just located on the other side of the canal.

Johnny Dowd at
The Chapter House

400 Stewart Ave.

Saturday: Called “Nick Cave with a hangover” by Time Out London, Johnny Dowd will be performing his old-school, dark-edged folk for anyone who wants to enjoy a draft beer and recall Tom Waits. Dowd goes on at 10 p.m. with a $5 cover.

The Positive Jam Festival
Stewart Park, Ithaca

Sunday: In arguably the biggest live music event of this fall, Dan Smalls Presents is bringing indie bands The Hold Steady, The Felice Brothers, Deer Tick and The Rural Alberta Advantage to our home fields. If you’re underage and plan on missing Brew Fest (a co-sponsored event) or don’t want to slow your roll after Saturday’s festivities, The Positive Jam is where Ithaca music lovers will be congregating in the last of the summer sunshine. Check out a preview of the festival in tomorrow’s paper for further information. Tickets are $25 online or $35 at the “door.”