Wrestling to Take On Ivy League Rivals

The wrestling team will be travel to Philadelphia, Pa., and Princeton, N.J., this weekend to face Ivy League foes Penn and Princeton. After dismantling Columbia (6-7-1, 0-1) and Hofstra (5-10-2) last weekend, the Red now hopes to improve on its overall record of 5-4-1 (1-0 Ivy).

Last weekend, the wrestlers from Columbia and Hofstra appeared to play with an insatiable hunger –– a hunger to eat the mat, that is.

Of course, the altruistic Red, not wanting its visitors to leave on empty stomachs, served them copious helpings of leg locks, headlocks and some nutritious mat.

Most notably, junior Mack Lewnes pinned both of his opponents in the 174 weight class, and tied the Cornell career pin record with 37.

This weekend, his opponents will get the chance to be that lucky pin No. 38, and give Lewnes sole possession of the prestigious pin record.

The hosting Quakers boast an 8-4 overall record (2-0 Ivy), and are also coming off dominant wins last weekend against Brown (3-10, 0-2 Ivy) and Harvard (2-10-1, 0-2).

Head coach Rob Koll placed a significant amount of importance on the match against Penn, mentioned that history has shown that the victor in the Cornell-Penn matchup, typically finds itself at the top of the Ivy League standings come season’s end.

Last weekend, the Tigers improved to 8-8 on the season as they racked up four wins against the likes of BU, Brown, Harvard and Sacred Heart.

Still, the Red remain unfazed.

“Nationally, we’ve stepped up our performance, and I feel we’re a little ahead of the other Ivies,” Koll said, “but at the same time, we’re not going to be taking any teams for granted.”

Koll is looking to finish off the season strong, and as such has taken measures to ensure his players stay healthy and “fresh” for the remainder of the season.

“We’ve shortened the practices, but have increased their intensity,” Koll said. “At this point in the season, the conditioning of our players is set, and no one will be making big strides in that respect. Our main focus is that we stay healthy and competitive.”

Original Author: Jonathan Shtaynberger