Records Quick to Fall at Weekend Invitationals

The track and field teams had a busy weekend with many impressive performances in the Multi Events II on Friday and the Robert Kane Invitational on Saturday –– both hosted by Cornell in Barton Hall. The men’s team also sent some athletes to the Armory in New York City for the continuation of the College Saturday Night series. The weekend resulted in several new freshmen records, school records, event wins and all time top-10 records.

The Multi Events II, which included over 25 athletes, proved taxing as it took place over two days and resulted in a victory in the heptathlon for junior Alex Holcombe, who scored 4,872 points. Senior captain Josh Kirkpatrick came in with a close second with 4,863 points –– good enough for IC4As and sixth in school history.

The men continued this dominance into the field events for Saturday in the Invitational. Senior captain Duane Teixeira had an unbelievable performance of 24-11 in the long jump to win the event and take second in school history. Only Olympic silver medalist Meredith Flash Gourdine ’52 has a better performance recorded in school history. Teixeira continued the great day with a second-place finish in the triple jump. Sophomore Bob Belden also had an outstanding day in the shot put to win the event and claim the sixth-best record in school history. Sophomore Chris Arlinghaus won the high jump and took ninth in school history. Seniors Rick Zamora and Jason Inzana placed first and second, respectively, in the pole vault.

The Red was also impressive on the track, sweeping the 60m dash with freshman Bruno Hortelano-Roig running a 6.92, freshman Jedidiah Adarquah-Yiadon running a 6.93 and sophomore Chase Aaronson running a 6.97. Juniors Brian Freitas and Cody Boyd swept the 500m dash with a first- and second-place finish, respectively. Junior Aaron Anderson finished first in the 1000m run while sophomore Danny Hagbert won the 60m hurdles. The Cornell 4×400 team also finished in first place.

The small group running at the Armory also had a successful night. Freshman Nick Wade set a new freshman school record in the 800m run to finish in third place. Senior Charlie Hatch placed second in the mile with a time good enough for sixth-best in school history.

The women’s team also had strong performances, coming away with13 event victories. The Cornell pole vaulters swept the top four with senior Natalie Gengel leading the way with a first-place finish. Sophomore Kristin Brandt won the triple jump with a distance that ranks as ninth-best in school history. Junior Kim Lienhoop finished second in both the long jump and the triple jump. Junior Cassie Schweighofer competed well in the weight throw to crack ninth in school history and also finished second in the shot put behind freshman Victoria Imbesi.

The Cornell women were even more dominating on the track with eight event wins. Senior Krystal Williams won the 60m dash with the fifth-best time in school history. Sophomore Melissa Hewitt won the 200m dash and senior captain Jessica Weyman won the 300m dash with a time just .04 seconds away from the school record. Freshman Libby O’Brien finished second behind Weyman in the 300 with the seventh-best time in school history and the freshman record. Freshman Genna Hartung won the 3000m run and senior Kate Backel won the 400m run. The Red swept the first five places in the mile and then swept the top three in the 1000m run.

Freshman Nick Wade admitted he was eying the freshman record when he ran at the Armory last weekend.

“I was trying to get that school record,” Wade said. “I ran with some fast guys and I was able to get it.”

The women’s team also believes the team is on the right path before the Heptagonal Championships with such a strong showing this past weekend.

“[The meet] was wonderful,” said senior sprinter Krystal Williams. “Everyone was fantastic.”

The teams are looking very good but there are still some slight concerns on consistency.

“Whoever brings the best to the table is going to win,” Wade said. “We all need to get our jobs done.”

“We’re looking to grab more points,” Williams said. “We’re looking to get points across the board. We can’t all look to get first and second. Getting third, fourth, fifth and sixth can also help the team.”

However, the team has been performing very well this season and has little reason to doubt itself.

“The guys are all running well, throwing well and jumping well,” Wade said. “If we continue to stay healthy, we’ll do real well.”

Wade, as a freshman, is excited for his first season and hopes to end strong –– especially against Ivy League rival Princeton.

“I’m pumped,” Wade said. “It feels like we’re going into battle with Princeton.”

Original Author: Wankyu Lee