Gymnastics Team Looks to Down Towson at Shelly Calloway Invite

After registering its highest score of the season in Ithaca, the Red is ready to continue its upward scoring trend as the team heads to the Shelly Calloway Invitational at Towson.

After starting the season by lowering the team score for three consecutive meets, the Red is finally going into a meet on an upswing.

“What we try to do each meet is build on the previous week and keep building until the Ivies and Nationals,” said junior captain Maddie Pearsall. “What we’ve been focusing on in the gym is cleaning up the little things to keep improving.”

“I expect it’s going to be tough,” Pearsall said, commenting on what to expect from Towson. “They don’t mess up, and they’re going to be at their home gym.”

Last weekend Cornell had the home-matt advantage, but now the ball is in the Tigers’ court.

“They’re going to be extremely motivated after last week. We’re got to bring everything we’ve got to this meet and hopefully it will work out.”

Cornell not only has a chance to take down Towson for only the third time in school history –– and the second time in as many weekends –– but the Red will also get another look at Penn.

Both teams were at Maryland earlier this season, where Cornell scored a 186.800 and the Quakers put together a 179.550.

“Our main concern this weekend is Penn because we have Ivies next week,” Pearsall said. “It’s good to see other Ivy teams so we know what to expect going in”.

Ursinus will round out the meet, but with the Ivy Classic at Brown just a week away, the Red has its eyes set on topping the Quakers again.

“We just try to take it a week at a time,” Pearsall said. “This week it’s great to see another Ivy as well as Towson before the ECACs. But we want to focus on this week and do as well as we can Saturday. Then come Monday, it’s all about the Ivies”.

Original Author: John Forman