Men’s Tennis Takes On Lions in Ivy Opener

The men’s tennis team takes to the courts tomorrow in what will be its first Ivy League match-up of the regular season. The Red (6-3) takes on the Columbia (6-3) in a battle for Ancient Eight bragging rights this weekend at the Reis Tennis Center. The men’s squad last faced off against the Lions back in February, leaving the Ivy Challenge in New Haven, Conn. with a loss to Columbia, 5-2. In that tournament the men’s team was defeated in five of the six singles matches, however it was able to continue its doubles success taking two of three from the Lions.

Last weekend was a very lopsided set of matches for the Red who shut out G.W. 7-0, but later fell to No. 52 Penn State, 6-1, on the road.

Junior Andy Gauthier played a part in four of the Red’s victories last weekend, earning two singles wins and two doubles victories alongside partner junior Jeremy Feldman. In order for the Red to rise to the top of the Ivies this weekend against Columbia, it will likely rely upon the continued success of Gauthier and No. 1 singles competitor, junior Jon Jaklitsch.

The women’s squad returns to action after having the week off, taking on Marquette at home. The Red (3-4) takes on Marquette (7-5) for the first time in school history, in a non-conference match that will likely have great consequence down the stretch run. While the Red may not have much experience against the Golden Eagles, it does have plenty of knowledge of the Big East in which Marquette plays, holding a 16-23 record against the conference.

The last time the Red took the courts two weeks ago the women’s team wound up on the losing side against a challenging Binghamton squad, however the Red was able to secure a victory over Rutgers, 5-2.

The victory was due in large part to the strong play of freshmen standouts Christine Ordway and Kristin Lim. The Red will certainly need continued success from these young stars as it attempts to win an Ivy crown.

Original Author: Evan Rich