Women’s Lacrosse Loses to Hofstra, Faces Columbia in Ivy League Opener

The women’s lacrosse team (1-2) blew a second half lead to Hofstra (3-2) to lose its first home game of the season, 12-10, last Saturday at Schoellkopf Field.

Sophomore attack woman Jessi Steinberg tallied five goals and established a new team record by winning eight draws in a single game. Steinberg’s mark surpassed Charlotte Schmidlapp’s and Jaimee Reynolds’ seven draw wins against Brown in 2007 and 1999, respectively.

However, Steinberg’s stellar performance could not prevent the Red from losing the game. Hofstra’s offense turned hot during the second half and went to score six of the final seven goals of the match. In addition, a great defensive performance from the Pride held Cornell scoreless for the final 20 minutes.

Then, Hofstra’s senior K’Leigh Vanaman tallied the goal that proved to be deciding one with 8:53 remaining in regulation. Cornell tried to tie the game by pulling out the goalie from the cage to put pressure on the Pride’s possession, but the strategy backfired and Hofstra scored another goal and that strengthened the lead even more.

Although the Red had an advantage in shots to the goal (23-19), the Pride won more draws (14-10), committed less turnovers (11-14) and executed more efficiently than Cornell in its free position attempts (3-5).

With a record of one win and two losses, the Red begins its Ivy League campaign today when it hosts Columbia (2-0) at Schoellkopf Field (4:00 p.m.).

Columbia travels to Ithaca after defeating Bucknell 16-8 last Wednesday at home. The game against Cornell would be the first of a three-game road trip for the Lions.

Original Author: AJ Ortiz