Cornell Players Share A Few Laughs During Thursday’s Media Day at NCAA Tournament

Funny, guys …

Senior tri-captain/center Jeff Foote left many reporters scratching their heads following today’s player press conference. When asked about how the team balances basketball with the academic rigors of Cornell, Foote responded by talking about yesterday’s bus ride to the hotel and police escorts –– adding that tomorrow’s matchup with No. 5 Temple is “anyone’s game” and that he’s “really looking forward to it.”

Head coach Steve Donahue later clarified that Foote had lost a shooting bet with Louis Dale, and the conditions were that the loser had to answer a question wrong during the press conference. “They think that’s funny in the Ivy League,” Donahue said.

Responding to a follow-up question about who was the smartest guy on the team, Dale suggested Mark Coury, while senior forward Ryan Wittman began, “Well, I mean besides myself …” with a laugh before acknowledging “probably Eitan Chemerinski” –– referencing the freshman forward’s ability to solve a Rubik’s cube in two and a half minutes.

Now That’s What You Call Ironic

Donahue admitted during today’s press conference that at the beginning of the season he asked for four tapes of Temple’s Lavoy Allen, just because he was so impressed with the junior forward’s defensive ability, and wanted to show his own players. Little did Cornell’s skipper know that his squad would be matching up with the Owls in the opening round of the NCAA tournament tomorrow at 12:30 p.m.

Get Down on the Ground

At today’s open media practice, Cornell’s team split into two groups for a shooting contest, with the losing side being made to do push-ups in the center of the court.

Original Author: Alex Kuczynski-Brown