Golf Finishes Fifth of Ivy Teams at Princeton Invite

With two weeks to go before the Ivy League Championships, the golf team traveled to Princeton, N.J., over the weekend to partake in the Princeton Invitational. Out of the 15 competing schools, seven were from the Ancient Eight, Brown being the only Ivy not to compete. The Red placed 10th at the end of the three-round tournament, with the Bulldogs from Yale ultimately taking home first place after beating Harvard in a playoff.  Junior Matt Jaye led all Red golfers on the weekend with a 218 that was good for eighth place overall. Sophomore Drew Baity and senior Robert Cronheim also finished in the top 50 individually, finishing second and third respectively for the Red.  In round two of the tournament, the Red’s total team score of 286 led all 15 teams; however, it unable to replicate the performance in the second round over the entire tournament. It’s clear that the talent is there for the Red –– it’s a matter of putting it all together round to round over the course of the same weekend. “We feel pretty good about where we are right now,” said junior Dan Bosse. “We showed a lot of potential; the 286 that we shot as a team in the second round shows that we have the talent, it’s a matter of getting more consistency, which will come with just playing more golf.” Despite it only being April, the course at Princeton proved to be in good condition, something not found often across golf courses in the Northeast. Coupled with the favorable weather over the weekend, it was a good weekend to play golf.“[The course] played very fair, it was in good shape,” Bosse said. “The weather was nice too, it was a little windy, but all in all it played very fair.” Even though it finished fifth out of the seven Ivy League teams at the invitational, the Red remains confident. The final scores did not indicate it, but pure talent-wise the squad can match up against any team in the Ancient Eight.  “We definitely still have work to do,” said junior Ben Myer. “We’ve all got to put in quality time practicing, but we definitely feel good about the squad that we have.” Seeing its Ivy League competition two weeks before the Ivy League Championships and knowing that they have the talent to win gives the Red an added push to work hard and fully prepare itself for the last two weeks of the season. “It’s always good to see your main competition beforehand,” Bosse said. “We think we’re in a pretty good spot, we’re progressing nicely and this weekend proved to ourselves that we have the talent. It’s a matter of continuing to practice and get better so that we peak in two weeks when it really matters.

Original Author: Ware Cady