Women’s Rowing Hosts Brown and Columbia in Dunn Bowl Regatta

The women’s rowing team will continue its successful season by hosting Brown and Columbia for the Dunn Bowl Regatta tomorrow at Ithaca’s Cayuga Lake Inlet. The team will face the Ivy rivals for the first time this season, with races set to start at 8:40 a.m.Cornell will look to carry its momentum into this weekend after sweeping all six races against Penn and Rutgers last Saturday. The victories earned the Red the Raritan Cup and the Class of 1989 Plate on the same day, a feat that has not been accomplished since 2005. Also on the list of the team’s accomplishments, the third varsity team is still undefeated more than halfway through the season. As a result, the Red has done more than just prove its 20th national ranking from a week ago with these victories to move farther up the rankings list to 19th this week.Cornell will face a tough challenge as the fifth ranked Brown and Columbia look to continue their great seasons as well. This past week Brown swept five races against Boston University and Northeastern. Since the beginning of the season, Brown has also been able to win more than half of its races against any opponent. Cornell will look to stop that streak this week.Columbia is also coming from a great weekend by winning the George Washington University Invitational Regatta and finishing first in a dominating nine out of 10 races. All three schools seem to be heating up at the same time and have the opportunity to test their speed this weekend.Brown also has a historic winning streak to defend as the Bears have won the Dunn Bowl Cup every year they competed. Columbia first entered the competition five years ago as a guest. Since that point, the Red has been able to finish second five times in a row. As a result, both Cornell and Columbia have yet to finish with the Dunn Bowl Cup.The Dunn Bowl matchup of Cornell and Brown has existed for many years in the Ivy League; however, Cornell coach John Dunn finally decided to give the competition its own cup in 1993 and it was thus named the Dunn Bowl. The Red hopes to be able to take home the Dunn Cup this weekend.

Original Author: Wankyu Lee