Men’s, Women’s Track Teams See Quality Results in Final Heps Tuneup

After a week involving snow, rain and sleet, the men’s and women’s track teams took advantage of a rare sunny, warm day in Ithaca, winning numerous events and IC4A qualifiers in the Cornell Outdoor Invitational, the Red’s last meet before next week’s Heptagonal Championships at Princeton. Saturday’s field boasted considerable competition from the New York area, including Syracuse, Cortland and Utica.

On the men’s side, sophomore Nick Huber came out flying in hurdles. Huber set records in both the 400m and 110m hurdles, running 51.91 and 14.61, respectively, to place seventh and ninth on Cornell’s all-time list. Sophomore Brian Freitas finished just behind Huber in the 400 hurdles with a 51.92, good for eighth in Cornell’s record books.

In sprints, junior Chris Tait highlighted the Red’s individual performances, winning the 400m run IC4A qualifier with a time of 48.20. Junior Rich Semenick picked up a victory as well, taking the 200m in 21.87. In addition, Cornell’s 4×100 team — composed of sophomore Chase Aaronson, senior Josh Kirkpatrick and freshmen Jedidiah Yiadon-Adarquah and Bruno Hortelano-Roig — ran a strong 40.91, good for third on Cornell’s all-time list, a mark which hasn’t been matched since the 1970s.

The Red picked up victories in other areas as well. Freshman David McCuiston led the way in the 800m run, while freshman Robert Micikas earned first place in the 1500m event with a 3:55.51 mark. In addition, sophomore Chris Arlinghaus won the high jump while senior Julian Remounds finished first in triple jump.

The women’s team also rewrote the record books on Saturday, highlighted by a new top mark in the 4×100. Junior Mecha Santos, sophomore Melissa Hewitt and seniors Megan Williams and Kate Backel all combined for a 45.60 time. Junior Cassie Schweighofer also came out strong for the Red as she picked up two victories in different events — discus and shot put. She also finished second in the hammer. Senior Natalie Gengel, who has been the Red’s go-to-girl all year in the pole vault, did not disappoint, as she finished first once again with a 12-1-1/2.

In hurdles, senior Jessica Weyman ran a 59.52 in the 400m event, the second-best time in the program’s history. Junior Dani Silas picked up a record in the 110 hurdles as well with a 14.38, which placed her eighth on Cornell’s all-time list. The victories kept coming for the Red as freshman Cara Costich had a personal best in the 3000m and senior Stephanie Pancoast won the 3000m-steeple chase.

For the Red, Saturday’s meet was the last stepping stone before the Heptagonals; however, it also marked the end of the 2010 outdoor track regular season, a bittersweet moment to some. After all, not everyone will compete in the postseason, and for many, Saturday’s meet was their last for the year.

“I think the team did great yesterday … it’s such a shame the [regular] season is over; they are such a great group of girls,” said sophomore Danielle Silas.

Original Author: Nathan Lowry