June 14, 2010

Wittman and Foote Hit the NBA Workout Circuit, Track Teams Hit Up the UK

Graduated seniors Ryan Wittman and Jeff Foote were in New York City today to work out for the N.Y. Knicks. Foote, who came in for a workout on May 27, is reportedly the only prospect to be called back for a second look.

Foote will also work out for the Portland Trail Blazers tomorrow.

Wittman previously worked out for his father’s team, the Washington Wizards, on June 1, and the Sacramento Kings on June 7.

The Sun’s Athlete of the Year was also scouted by 23 NBA teams –– the Knicks among them –– at an open workout hosted at the New Jersey Nets’ practice facility on June 11. Wittman was among 36 players invited to participate, and the only Ivy Leaguer.

The Knicks own the 38th and 39th picks in this month’s NBA draft.

The People Have Spoken

The men’s heavyweight Varsity 8 boat has been named the Row2K Crew of the Week after notching its best IRA finish since ’94. Cornell garnered 38 percent of the 2,395 votes in the poll, beating the women’s teams of Mercyhurst, Stanford, Virginia and Yale, as well as the Cal men’s Varsity 8.

Meet Me on the Track … It’s Going Down

Rising sophomore Victoria Imbesi concluded her first trip to the NCAA Track and Field Championships with a 24th-place finish in the javelin last Saturday in Eugene, Ore.

Imbesi, who qualified for the Finals with her first-round performance in Greensboro, N.C., fouled on her first throw before recording a mark of 130-10 –– good for 24th overall.

Running in her final race in a Cornell uniform, graduated senior Stephanie Pancoast finished 10th in her heat and 20th overall in the 3000m steeplechase with a time of 10:40.85. Pancoast is the school record holder in the event.

Rising senior Kim Standridge was the seventh American finisher (ninth overall) in the 800m, making her Cornell’s only All-American at the 2010 championships.

Tracking Across the Pond

Speaking of the track team, 36 representatives from the men’s and women’s squads departed for the United Kingdom yesterday for a two-week tour of Great Britain. The quadrennial tour, in keeping with decades-old tradition, will culminate in a showdown with Oxford and Cambridge at Oxford’s historic Iffley Road track, where Roger Bannister ran the world’s first sub-four-minute mile. In the spirit of unlikely alliances, Cornell will once again team up with Ivy League rival Penn, who is sending eight men and eight women on the tour.

I Come From a Land Down Under

Rising junior Alex Domenick will represent the U.S. at the World University Games in Melbourne, Australia, along with four other Ivy League squash players.

Domenick, who finished the 2009-10 season ranked 26th in the nation, won a playoff match against Yale’s Todd Ruth to earn a spot on the roster for the World University Games, which will be held July 10-18.

The event, which boasts representatives from at least 17 countries, will feature both team and individual play.

Domenick, who was named Co-MVP after going 7-10 on the season in the top singles spot, will play under Trinity men’s squash head coach Paul Assiante.

The Stuff of Legends

Dave Auble, Olympian and two-time NCAA champion for Cornell, was inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame last weekend in Stillwater, Okla.

Auble posted a collegiate record of 51-1 from 1958-60, and won the 1959 Pan American championship. He placed fourth in the 125.5-pound weight class at the 1962 world championships, and made the Olympic team in 1964, finishing fourth. Auble is a former head wrestling coach at UCLA and Campbell.

Be sure to follow www.twitter.com/dailysunsports for daily updates from The Sun’s sports department.

Original Author: Alex Kuczynski-Brown