30 Rock Recap: Put Potato Chips On A Sandwich!

“When it rains, it pours.”  An aptly titled episode for a night like last night in Ithaca.  What’s not to love about this episode, with the actual presence of Elizabeth Banks as Jack’s baby mama Avery Jessup, and cameos from NBC News’ Brian Williams, Andrea Mitchell and CASH CAB!

Liz (Tina Fey) is terribly excited that she is receiving male attention from the construction men, which prompts Jenna to tell her that it is because of her newfound confidence from her relationship with Matt Damon.   “When it rains, it pours,” explains Jenna (Jane Krakowski).

Avery is back, and she announces that she is having a boy.   Liz calls them Javery, which we’ve all been doing anyway.  “Timesaver,” she justifies.  She notices that Jack will be an old dad, prompting Jack to videotape everything his new son will need to know if he won’t be around.  He also compares Liz to Jack Klugman.

Meanwhile, Pete is afraid to go down and meet with the technical editors for TGS because one editor, who is one big Islander fan and enjoys performing graphic reenactments of  Civil War deaths (Paul Giamatti), threw Chinese food at Pete.   (He will later get covered in spaghetti sauce by Liz.)  Liz decides to charm him, previewing a spot-on (or off?) Julia Roberts laugh.  She must have inspired NBC’s Thursday comedy lineup, as Dwight on The Office would later reenact her famous scene in Pretty Woman.

Tracy has locked himself in his dressing room to avoid missing the birth of his daughter.  He also seems to be echoing what everyone else is thinking, “There’s something about you lately, make me want to put my feet in your mouth.”  Although, he did have valid excuses for missing the births of his last two children: cooking a French bread pizza and forgot.

His next obstacle: Discovery Channel gameshows.  In a very believable plot twist, the taxi from the game show Cash Cab picks Tracy up to take him to the hospital.  I’ve always wondered if this show was a hoax.  With this episode, any reservations I have had about this show being less than completely real are gone.  How many other NYC residents have almost missed the birth of their child to answer pesky game show questions in the back of a taxi?  Tracy summed it up best: “So for me to be there for the birth of my daughter, I have to answer trivia questions, despite having gone to middle school in the Exxon Station?”

Tracy ultimately makes it back for the birth of his daughter.  And Jack learns that “the Russian skank” read the results wrong and Javery is having a girl, forcing him to re-tape advice for his future daughter, with the help of Elizabeth Lemon.  She mostly tells her that it is ok to have facial hair.

The Night’s Best Lines

·         Liz to the vulgar construction worker, “Would you talk like that to your mother? Or your daughter? Or your surgeon?”

·         Jenna to Liz, “Not that you’re not cute.  You are.  Like a pretty refugee on the news”

·         Homeless man to Liz, “Hey I want your feet in my mouth.”

·         Tracy, “I don’t get why people like brunch.  What’s the benefit of combining break dancing and lunch?”

·         Angie Jordan (Sherri Shepherd), “I’m gonna kill that man.

Dr. Spaceman (Chris Parnell), “You just described my morning.

·         Dr. Spaceman to Angie, “I just administered the epidural.  Would you like one as well?”

·         Jenna to Liz, “Your new vibe is a double edged sword: Much like the kind Mickey Rourke tried to kill me with.”

·         NBC News’ Andrea Mitchell to Liz, “Slut.”

·         Dr. Spaceman to Angie, who is in labor, “Pull, Angie, Pull!”

Night’s Best Moment Tracy mistaking the voice of the emergency alert system for the President.

“I can’t leave my dressing room until Angie goes into labor, but the President is saying we have to go outside!”

Original Author: Scott Eidler