With Three Games to Go, Women’s Soccer Closing In On .500 Record

With the combination of hard work, confidence and a talented freshman class, the Cornell women’s soccer team has seen a positive improvement from previous seasons. Last year, the Red finished with a 1-13-1 record; in 2010, it is currently sporting a 6-6 record (1-3 Ivy).

“I think our team is doing so much better than last year; our record is proof of that,” said junior forward Brook Chang. “For the last two years that I have been here, I have not had more than three wins. This year, we have already surpassed that. It shows how we have come a long way.”

In addition to the confidence gained from the increased win total, the freshman class has also helped guide the Red to victories this year. Thus far, freshmen have scored 1/3 of the team’s total goals this season. Caedran Harvey and Mary Keroack each have two goals, while Rachel Nichols and Annmarie Irwin have one apiece.

“The freshmen are really contributing and playing great, which has allowed us to work together as a team,” said senior midfielder Katie Hayes.

Not only did the preseason aid the women’s soccer team in preparing for the upcoming season physically, but an early win guided the Red in the right direction mentally.

“The win against Bucknell was a chance for us to realize that we can beat other quality teams. It was a huge win for us, as well as a confidence boost,” Hayes said.

Another great win for Cornell this season was against Colgate.

“Colgate was a big win for us this year because it was such a physical and mental win. We had the worst referee and an opponent who was playing very dirty, but we didn’t let that overcome us and came out with a 2-0 win. We proved how we can overcome adversity,” Chang said.

Although the Red has experienced wins this season, it has also encountered losses; however, with every defeat, Cornell has learned, comes opportunity.

“After Colgate, the team was very confident, especially after losing the game against Penn the previous weekend. But after Harvard, they were disappointed. Harvard scored off of a corner kick and a free kick, so we lost a chance at beating a fellow Ivy that we were evenly matched up with,” said head coach Danielle LaRoche. “But with loss comes opportunity.”

With three games left in the Ivies, the women’s soccer team still has a chance to finish in the top half. However, the squad varies in which upcoming game it is most excited to play.

“As a senior, I’m really looking forward to the game against Dartmouth, because it will be my last Ivy game,” Hayes said.

“I’m most looking forward to the Brown game because freshman year we beat them, 2-0, and that is the only Ivy game that I have won so far in my career,” Chang said. “Our goal is .500, which is to have half wins and half losses, and I think that we can do it.”

Original Author: Taylor Nieman