Penn and Princeton Sweep Volleyball Team

Failing to halt its losing skid, the volleyball team dropped two away matches this weekend, first to Princeton, 3-1, and later Penn, 3-0.

The Tigers (13-9, 8-3 Ivy) took an early lead, winning the first two sets, 25-18, 25-18. Head coach Sarah Bernson noted that the Red’s (4-18, 2-10) difficulty throughout the match was its gaps in execution.

“It’s just about making the right decisions at the right time, which has become the description of our season: we compete, but we just haven’t found a way to win,” Bernson said. “It’s making the right swing at the right time, being disciplined in our ball control in key moments.”

Cornell fought back for control and took the win in the third set, outscoring Princeton, 25-19.

“It was great to win the third game, because it changed the pace of how the game was going. It showed us how competitive we can be and [that] we can have a string of points without the other team answering immediately,” said junior Kelly Hansen.

However, in the next set, the Red allowed the Tigers to fight back and ultimately take the match.

“Especially as you fight back and are competing point-for-point –– if you let an opponent get a run of three or four points in a tight match, that creates a situation that you shouldn’t be in. This makes it harder for the team to come back and win,” Bernson said.

Cornell next competed against Penn, and was defeated in three straight sets, 25-20, 25-10 and 25-17.

“After the first game –– which was the closest of the three –– we definitely let our guard down and let them go on runs. With the first few we started off really well and were going back and forth point-wise, but then after that they had the momentum and we should have changed our game plan a little bit quicker,” Hansen said.

The Red will play its final two games of the season this weekend at home, against the Bears and Bulldogs.

“These next six days are the last time that all 18 players will be playing together, so it’s important that we have fun and enjoy the game. I don’t know how much technical work we really need to get in –– it’s more about staying with our system and executing our game plan,” Bernson said.

These games will be the last two for seniors Alessa Cekauskas and Erin McCarthy.

“It’ll be great for our seniors to have our last two games be at home,” Hansen said. “We’re preparing to be really competitive and hopefully go 2-0.”

Original Author: Laura Dwulet