Women’s Soccer Ends Season With 1-0 Loss to Dartmouth

The women’s soccer team fell to Dartmouth, 1-0, on Saturday, bringing its 2010 season to a close. Despite ending the season with a loss, there is plenty to be optimistic about going into 2011. The Red (6-8-1, 1-5-1 Ivy) finished the season with five more wins than it did in 2009, and will look to continue its resurgence in 2011.

Neither team could generate much offense in this game. Red keeper Megan Bartlett was forced to make only four saves, as the Green could muster only five shots on goal. It was much of the same for the Red, which landed only three shots on goal. Dartmouth broke the tie in the 67th minute with an Aly O’Dea shot off a Chrissy Lozier cross for the final score.

Despite being unable to finish the season with a win, Cornell concluded 2010 with its head held high.

“Everyone worked very hard this season,” said freshman midfielder Rachel Nichols. “All the players were extremely close on and off the field, which really helped our team chemistry. That’s something that really helped us stay positive.”

Something to be excited about next season is the talent of the Red’s youngest recruiting class. Freshman players tallied six out of the 19 total goals Cornell scored this season. Nichols, forward Caedran Harvey, midfielder Mary Keroack, midfielder Annmarie Irwin and midfielder Rachel Schlobohm all received significant playing time this season and figure to play even greater roles in 2011. Much of the success of younger players this season can be attributed to the leadership of older players.

“The upperclassmen really helped us a lot this year,” Nichols said. “So in order to build upon our success we need to continue making younger players feel comfortable and get their confidence up like our upperclassmen helped us do.”

The Red will lose two key seniors in defender Katie Hayes and midfielder Lena Russomagno. Hayes has been a staple on the back line for Cornell over the years. Russomagno will leave the Red after tallying nine goals and seven assists throughout her career.

“We’re kind of lucky in a way that we only have two graduating seniors, because Katie and Lena are awesome players,” Nichols said. “But we have a huge freshman class coming in next year, so hopefully that will help out.”

Cornell hopes that it can continue its winning ways into next season. The team’s successes this year has given it confidence that the Red can compete with anyone.

“To come out of the season one win behind .500 is a tremendous improvement from last season,” said junior Abigail Apistolas. “Going into next season, I think that we have a mentality we may have lacked in past seasons that we have the ability as a team to beat anyone.”

Original Author: Jimmy Xi