Gymnastics Continues Historic Start to Season

The gymnastics team continued its historic start to the season by winning the Brockport Invitational over the weekend.

After posting the highest-scoring first meet in the history of Cornell gymnastics, the Red continued its dominant start by winning the Brockport Invitational with a team score of 190.425 — almost a full four points higher than both Southern Connecticut (186.725) and host Brockport (186.125). Springfield College rounded out the field with a score of 177.000.

“We’re having the best start of any season in our history,” said head coach Paul Beckwith. “[Saturday] was the highest-scoring second meet of the program.”

Even though the Red’s score was slightly lower than the one from the previous week, Beckwith believes the team has improved.

“We had a better meet than the week before, even though our scores were a bit lower,” Beckwith said. “It’s hard, from a gymnast’s perspective, when you know you did better than the week before but got a couple tenths lower.”

Senior tri-captain Maddie Pearsall spoke with an optimism similar to her coach’s.

“[It’s a] great start to the season for us … everyone’s looking really good so we’re excited,” Pearsall said. “We competed well and coming out on top gave us momentum for the rest of the season.”

Cornell swept away the competition on the vault, as the top five scorers were all members of the Red. Pearsall led the sweep with a score of 9.675, while freshman Melanie Jorgensen and senior Emily Santoro tied for second with scores of 9.625.

Original Author: Albert Liao